Unable to create new site after re-installing ArcServer 10.1

08-31-2011 01:49 PM
KennethAbbott
New Contributor
So I had to uninstall my original installation of ArcServer 10.1 due to an error. Upon re-installing the software (twice now) I continue to get the same error every time I go through the server set-up wizard to "create new site". The error message reads, "Another process or application is currently accessing the store. Please try again later." I have no idea what this message means or how to get rid of it. Is it some kind of IIS conflict error as a result of the previous installation I had to uninstall? Please help if you have any idea how to solve this issue. Thanks.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
DerekWeatherbe
Esri Contributor
Hi Kenneth,

Please try these steps:

1) In the Windows services panel, stop the ArcGIS Server service.

2) Open the Task Manager and verify that there are no java.exe or rmid.exe processes remaining that are running as the 'Log On As' account that the ArcGIS Server service is assigned.

3) In Windows Explorer, rename your c:\arcgisserver folder. If your configuration store and server directories are in a different location, rename the root directories for those as well.

4) Navigate to C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server\framework\etc and delete the config-store-connection.xml and machine-config.xml files if they exist.

5) Restart the ArcGIS Server windows service.

6) Open a new browser session and open Manager.

7) Run through the CreateSite wizard.

Let me know if this does not fix the problem.

Thanks

Derek
0 Kudos
BorjaParés_Fuente
New Contributor II

Hi Derek,

Deleting config-store-connection.xml is a possible/supported workaround at ArcGIS Server 10.7.X and higher, to create a new site in other location (other UNC path for example) if the original config-sotre directory has been corrputed or is not available any more?

Thanks in advance

Borja

0 Kudos
KennethAbbott
New Contributor
Derek,

Thanks for getting back to me. Your solution worked as I got the Server Manager site up and working again. However, I am running into the same issues that made me uninstall and re-install the software in the first place.

The issue is that I am not being allowed to publish any GIS resources from either ArcMap or ArcCatalog. ArcMap fails to make a connection to the server, and ArcCatalog has the ability to publish services grayed-out (see attached pictures). This is so even though I am accessing ArcServer through the admin option. To make matters worse, when I try to publish a service definition file on ArcServer I get a blank box when I am asked what capabilities I would like to enable, which in turn makes the publishing fail (see attached picture). The account being used to access the server is the arcgis account created when ArcServer was installed. The arcgis account is a member of agsadmin, administrators, remote desktop users, and users. So it shouldn't be a permissions problem, but based on the errors I feel that it still is. Any advice? Thanks.
0 Kudos
DerekWeatherbe
Esri Contributor
Hi Kenneth,

The account specified during the initial installation is the Windows OS account that processes will run as. We will call that the ArcGIS Server account. If it does not exist during the time of the setup, it will be created by the setup. This is the operating system account that needs to have permissions to data you publish as services.

The account you specified during the CreateSite step in Manager is the primary administrator account that is created in ArcGIS Server's builtin security store. This primary administrator account is not a Windows OS account. The account you specified during CreateSite is what you would use when making your admin connection in ArcCatalog.

Did you happen to enter a windows account when running the Create Site wizard?

Thank you.

Derek
0 Kudos
KennethAbbott
New Contributor
Derek,

Since I last posted I am now once again able to publish service definition flies through ArcServer Manager. However, the problem of not being able to make the connection through ArcMap and ArcCatalog still persists.

The account I specified during the Create Site wizard was the ArcGIS Server windows account (named "arcgis") that was created during the re-installation of the 10.1 server. Should I have specified an entirely new account that is not a windows OS account? If that is the case, is there way I can recreate the website without going through a complete uninstall so I can specify a new non-windows account? If I make the admin connection to the server instance through the new account would that solve me connection issues?

Also on an entirely unrelated note, do you know when ArcGIS Online organizational accounts will be available the entire Beta Community? My company is interested in trying it out, but I don't see a way gain access to the beta trial on the beta community website.

Thanks again for your time. It is much appreciated.

-Ken
0 Kudos
DerekWeatherbe
Esri Contributor
Hi Kenneth,

Here is what I would recommend:

1) Delete your site by opening the Site Directory application located at the URL http://localhost:6080/arcgis/admin.
2) Once logged in, click the DeleteSite operation.
3) Close the browser.
4) Open Manager and go through the CreateSite wizard. When asked for the username and password, enter a new non-Windows OS account.
5) Open ArcMap/ArcCatalog and delete your existing connection to the server.
6) Create a new Admin connection using the account you specified during the CreateSite wizard.

Thanks

Derek
0 Kudos