Blank error message when using Spline w/ Barriers

08-04-2011 12:48 PM
coryhodes
New Contributor
To whom it may concern,

I am working on a brand new computer with ArcGIS 10.0 installed.  The license for the Spatial Analyst and 3D Analyst extensions have been added.  Everything seems to be working fine with the extensions except for the Spline with Barriers interpolation method.  As soon as I open the Spline with Barriers dialog box, there is already an error appearing (red circle with white "X" in center) next to the Input Point Features.  There is no description of the error when you click on it.  If I ignore the error and proceed to input my data, and then try to run the interpolation, I get another error message.  Except this time the message is the yellow triangle with a black exclamation point inside. 

I have made sure that the appropriate extensions were enabled under the Customize tab.  I am confident that this is not an issue with my files, because I have performed the same task with the same files on another computer with success.  I also find it unusual that every other aspect about the Spatial Analyst extension works fine.  I have attached an image of my situation.  ALL help is greatly appreciated.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
EricRice
Esri Regular Contributor
Greetings,

A couple things stand out in your post as possible culprits.  First, you should install service pack 2 for ArcGIS 10.0.  Second, because you said a brand new computer is being used, you might not have the Java runtime environment Version 6, or higher.  Spline with Barriers will not work without the Java runtime installed.

The Java Runtime Environment can be downloaded for free from http://www.java.com/en/download.

Hope that helps you out.

Regards,
Eric
0 Kudos
coryhodes
New Contributor
Thanks for the response.

I checked into the service pack 2 for ArcGIS 10, and it turns out that it has already been installed.  Also, the computer has version 6 Java already.  Anything else come to mind why the Spline with Barriers interpolation might not be working? Maybe something during the installation process? Again, thanks for any help.
0 Kudos