Having trouble Joining a Table to A Feature Class

08-04-2011 02:16 AM
deleted-user-s_pSF_cCqVzk
New Contributor III
Hi,

I am trying to join an excel table that I have imported into my TOC to a layer that represents huts in a refugee camp; however, the join fails every time.

I have attached the data here if anyone wants to take a hack at it. The nonspatial tabular data file is called A5_Data_GIS_2, and the field I want to join is called housecode. The layer is called houses and the matching field is called House_Num.

Many thanks for any insight into why I can't get this to work.

Thanks,
Lyndy
0 Kudos
5 Replies
ManuelMeidinger
New Contributor
Hi,

I just joined your table to the house shapefile and then exported the data. Have a look at shapefile called house2 and let me know if that is what you wanted!

Manu
0 Kudos
deleted-user-s_pSF_cCqVzk
New Contributor III
Hi,

I just joined your table to the house shapefile and then exported the data. Have a look at shapefile called house2 and let me know if that is what you wanted!

Manu

Hi Manu,

Yes, this is what I wanted. Thanks so much! May I please ask you to tell me the steps you took.

Best,
Lyndy
0 Kudos
ManuelMeidinger
New Contributor
There is no need to import the table into the TOC. Just rickt click in your shape and click joins. Then pick the option join table to layer and select the required fields and the location of your excel file.

After you joined the tables simply right click on your shapefile and select data - export data.
Then you will end up with the new shapefile and table.

If you try to open the attribute table right after joining and prior to exporting you should usually get an SQL error or something like that.

I had a similar problem a few weeks ago until I figured out that exporting the shapefile will do the trick. However, I do not know why.

Hope this helps. I am not good at explaining 😉
0 Kudos
Joseph_FlavianGomes
New Contributor
how do you join in case the excel file has data for multiple years, so then you have a one to many join?
0 Kudos
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
how do you join in case the excel file has data for multiple years, so then you have a one to many join?

See my reply to your other post on this subject here.
0 Kudos