Referenced Mosaic - Why don't all tiles draw at full extent ? (And faster ?)

07-28-2011 05:33 AM
MiguelGarriga1
New Contributor III
I have a referenced Mosaic Dataset pointing to a Raster Catalog in a File Geodatabase.  The Raster Catalog contains 64 raster images.  When I preview the Mosaic in ArcCatalog, all of the image footprints draw, but only the first 20 of the 64 images draw (see attached snapshot).  If you zoom in, all the images draw.  Likewise in ArcMap only the first 20 images draw at the full extent, but they all draw when you zoom in.  Full extent in this case is 1:45K, but you have to zoom in to 1:15K to see all tiles.

• How can I get all the images in the Mosaic to draw at the full extent ? 

• Also, is there a way to make the Mosaic draw faster ? All images have pyramids built.

• Is there another alternative to Raster Catalog and Mosaic datasets that would give better performance ?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
RobertBerger
New Contributor III
Greetings,

The mosaic dataset by default only draws up to 20 items. This is a setting you can change on the mosaic dataset defaults page > maximum number of requests.
As far as performance: if you rebuild the raster catalog as a mosaic dataset (instead of a reference) then you can build overviews which will give you better display performance. Especially in your case where you have tiled data without overlap, you won't lose anything.
Hope this helps.

Robert
0 Kudos