Failed to Import Shapefile, Invalid Shapefile

07-12-2011 12:45 PM
JosephRenzetti
New Contributor
When I export out a shapefile or create a new one, all of a sudden ArcGIS Explorer online is not able to import a shapefile. I keep getting an error box with the message, "Failed to Import Shapefile - Invalid Shapefile." I wish it would let me know why it was invalid. Anyone know of a solution to this? I had it working a few days ago.
Thanks.
0 Kudos
58 Replies
ShellyGill2
Occasional Contributor
I keep getting an error box with the message, "Failed to Import Shapefile - Invalid Shapefile."

Hi - there's a few things that can prevent an import working - you must have all of the required files in the zipfile you import for example. There's a few tips at the bottom of the Import Shapefile help topic:
http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisexplorer/help/#/Import_a_shapefile/01560000005p000000/
I think the simplest way to figure this out would be if you can post your shapefile on the forum we can test it out.
0 Kudos
GISUser1
New Contributor
Shelly,

I am having the same problem in that I get 'Invalid Shapefile' when trying to upload to Explorer Online. This is my first time using Explorer Online. I can open the shapefile in ArcMap so I know it is not corrupt. It was created as an export from a pgdb feature class. I have attached it as a zip file. If you could take a look at it, I'd appreciate it.
0 Kudos
ShellyGill2
Occasional Contributor
Hi  Nemorosus - I think the problem with your zipfile is that it contains a directory that then contains the files (e.g. see the Path column if you're using WinZip). http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisexplorer/help/#/Import_a_shapefile/01560000005p000000/
I just unzipped the files, and re-zipped them up directly, not inside a directory, and the upload worked fine for me.
0 Kudos
GISUser1
New Contributor
Thanks so much, Shelly. I misunderstood the zip note - I thought it had to be in a folder. I really appreciate your help on this.
0 Kudos
ShellyGill2
Occasional Contributor
I misunderstood the zip note - I thought it had to be in a folder

No problem. I'll see if I can make that note about directories in zipfiles clearer in the help files.
0 Kudos
ToddGys
New Contributor
I'm currently dealing with a similar issue with a point shapefile (1 point) where ArcExplorer seems to be trying to import it as a polygon.  I keep getting an error saying that a polygon must have a certain number of rings or vertices to display.  The error # is 24305.

Anyone encountered this?  Other shapefiles have imported fine.
0 Kudos
ShellyGill2
Occasional Contributor
I'm currently dealing with a similar issue with a point shapefile (1 point) where ArcExplorer seems to be trying to import it as a polygon.  I keep getting an error saying that a polygon must have a certain number of rings or vertices to display.  The error # is 24305.

Anyone encountered this?  Other shapefiles have imported fine.

I'm afraid we've seen this error message returned when the actual reason for the failure is something else. Would you be able to post the problematic shapefile up on the forum (or email directly if you prefer - I'm sgill at esri.com) so we can check out the problem?

Thanks,
0 Kudos
JosephRenzetti
New Contributor
Hi - there's a few things that can prevent an import working - you must have all of the required files in the zipfile you import for example. There's a few tips at the bottom of the Import Shapefile help topic:
http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisexplorer/help/#/Import_a_shapefile/01560000005p000000/
I think the simplest way to figure this out would be if you can post your shapefile on the forum we can test it out.

Thank you! Yes, my issue was I had the shapefile and the zipped file named differently. Since the Explorer Online will only recognize the name of the shapefile exactly, you must name the shapefile the way you want it to appear in Explorer Online.
0 Kudos
JeffJensen1
New Contributor II
Hello Shelly,

I'm getting an error when attempting to import a shapefile that has more than 1000 points. Do you know if this is documented? For example, what are the limitations on line and polygon features as well?

Thanks,

Jeff Jensen
0 Kudos