why the "Combine" tool doesn't keep the original values of the combined rasters?

05-26-2011 03:33 PM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
why the "Combine" tool doesn't keep the original values of the combined rasters?

please, see the attached image that shows my question

how can i combine two raster with keeping the same values of the combined raster?

it is quite confusing that ArcGIS switch the original values to other ones! this way we get lost!!!!

is there any other tool that combines the  rasters but keeps the values of the fields of as they are???
----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
the values are sorted first by the first input raster, then the second, that pair is assigned the first class...and so on
0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor
is there any other tool that combines the  rasters but keeps the values of the fields of as they are???

The issue with Combine is that it is an integer value operation. Floating point (or text) raster table values wouldn't lend themselves to the desired combinatorial operation.  So --  you would like all the fields in the output table? In command-line ArcInfo GRID there is a command MERGEVAT (it exists in 9.x MOMA, but that's a secret) that does this. It basically did a Join Field between two raster tables, dropping VALUE and COUNT from the second input.

That would be a nice little tool. I just may write a Python script tool to do that.... Send it to ESRI as an enhancement request!
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
The issue with Combine is that it is an integer value operation. Floating point (or text) raster table values wouldn't lend themselves to the desired combinatorial operation.  So --  you would like all the fields in the output table? In command-line ArcInfo GRID there is a command MERGEVAT (it exists in 9.x MOMA, but that's a secret) that does this. It basically did a Join Field between two raster tables, dropping VALUE and COUNT from the second input.

That would be a nice little tool. I just may write a Python script tool to do that.... Send it to ESRI as an enhancement request!

Thank you for the answer Curtis.

Actually, I'm constructing a model using the model builder (attached) in which i needed to have a tool like "combine"! in this case, it is not useful to go back to ArcInfo workstation

the "Combine" tool is very crucial but:

- it doesn't keep the values of the combined raster as they are
- it changes the names of the fields and replace them by the name of rasters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! very confusing!!!!!!!

I'm not sure how can i proceed with my model!!!!! i need to connect all the part of the model but i couldn't due to the unavailability of some important tools in ArcGIS !!!!!!

any idea how can i proceed?

regards

Jamal
----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
0 Kudos