what is the "Dissolve" tool for rasters?

05-26-2011 10:29 AM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
what is the "Dissolve" tool for rasters?

please, see the attached image that shows my question

I'm trying to dissolve the cell of the raster based on the Iprime field, but couldn't fine an equivalent tool.

I tried to use the "reclassify" tool but resulted raster was meaningless!

thank you

regards

Jamal
----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
0 Kudos
14 Replies
KylePurdon
New Contributor
It depends on what you want to do with the raster. You could just create a new raster where the field you want is the "Value" field and then just use that raster as a "zone". Or you could just change the symbology so that it represents the field you want.

Another method would be to covert your raster to a polygon based on the field you want, then use the dissolve and convert back to a raster. As far as I know there is no "raster dissolve" tool.

You could also use some sort of conditional statement as well if you want to dive into that.
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
It depends on what you want to do with the raster. You could just create a new raster where the field you want is the "Value" field and then just use that raster as a "zone". Or you could just change the symbology so that it represents the field you want.

Another method would be to covert your raster to a polygon based on the field you want, then use the dissolve and convert back to a raster. As far as I know there is no "raster dissolve" tool.

You could also use some sort of conditional statement as well if you want to dive into that.

Thank you for the answer Kyle.

please, have a look on the attached image that shows that i cant convert the raster to polygons according the Iprime field that contain real numbers

what I'm looking for is to have a raster that has only the values: 0.2, 0.4, 0.6, 0.8 and 1. (out of the given raster)

then this raster (Iprime) is intended to be combined with another raster (CtachType) that has the values: a, b, c and d.

then a field is added to the combined raster and its values are calculated according to the following if statement:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
if [CtachType] = "a" then
Select Case [Iprime]
Case .2
OP= 0
Case .4
OP= 0
Case .6
OP= 0
Case .8
OP= 0
Case 1
OP= 0
end select

else

if [CtachType] = "b" then
Select Case [Iprime]
Case .2
OP= .2
Case .4
OP= .4
Case .6
OP= .6
Case .8
OP= .8
Case 1
OP= 1
end select

else

if [CtachType] = "c" then
Select Case [Iprime]
Case .2
OP= .4
Case .4
OP= .6
Case .6
OP= .8
Case .8
OP= 1
Case 1
OP= 1
end select

else

if [CtachType] = "d" then
Select Case [Iprime]
Case .2
OP= .6
Case .4
OP= .8
Case .6
OP= 1
Case .8
OP= 1
Case 1
OP= 1
end select

end if
end if
end if
end if
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

this is why i need the resulted raster to have only the values  0.2, 0.4, 0.6, 0.8 and 1.

but how can i do that?

regards

Jamal
Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
KylePurdon
New Contributor
This is a long shot but maybe the Raster to Polygon tool wont work with decimals. Try multiplying the field by 10 and then converting Raster - Polygon. This would make 1 = 10 0.8 = 8 and so on.
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
convert the tif to an ESRI grid using the IPRIM field
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
convert the tif to an ESRI grid using the IPRIM field

but using which tool can i convert the TIF to ESRI GIRID?
Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
PatrickTaurman
Occasional Contributor III
Use the Lookup tool.  It will take a raster, and use a field, and make a new raster.  To output a ESRI Grid, just don't put an extension on the end of the name (i.e. instead of test.tif just call it test). 

If you are just looking to go from Tiff to Grid, just use Copy Raster.
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
Use the Lookup tool.  It will take a raster, and use a field, and make a new raster.  To output a ESRI Grid, just don't put an extension on the end of the name (i.e. instead of test.tif just call it test). 

If you are just looking to go from Tiff to Grid, just use Copy Raster.

What i'm looking for is to have a dissolved raster of values: 0.2, 0.4, 0.6, 0.8 and 1.

please, see the attached images that show that the "lookup" too is not helpful to achieve what I'm looking for

what else i may try?
Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
PatrickTaurman
Occasional Contributor III
Jamal, I would contact Support and open an incident with them.  It looks like you are having issues with that dataset in multiple tools.  Without the data in hand, it's going to be difficult to guess what the problem is.
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
Jamal, I would contact Support and open an incident with them.  It looks like you are having issues with that dataset in multiple tools.  Without the data in hand, it's going to be difficult to guess what the problem is.

the data is attached

thank you

Jamal
Jamal Numan
0 Kudos