ArcGIS or AutoCAD Problem ?

03-09-2011 02:38 AM
PeterWilson
Occasional Contributor III
Hi I need some assistance from the community. I have been creating AutoCAD dwg files using "Export to CAD" for quiet a while with very few problems. I've created 4 AutoCAD drawings and saved them as AutoCAD dwg (2010). The engineers are complaining the the CAD drawings generated are being read in when Xreferenced as inches and not meters. The CAD drawings are projected to TM30 WGS84 and the units are in meters. I've attached one of the drawings that I have created. When I bring the CAD drawings into ArcGIS the units are meters. Is it ArcGIS 10 at wrong or is it AutoCAD 2010. Any assistance will be appreciated.

Regards
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
KarenHodge
Esri Contributor

You always have the option of using a seed or template file when exporting to CAD.  I'd suggest you create a base drawing with units (and any other AutoCAD configuration settings) defined.

0 Kudos
CherylTrine
Occasional Contributor II

I am having the same problem (see: https://community.esri.com/message/446321#446321

I am using a seed file because I am using block definitions for my point features.  The drawing units in the seed file have been defined as: Length Type: "Architectural" and Units: "Inches"  (or Length Type: "Architectural" and Units: "Feet"-which CAD clearly says it does not like), but the scale is still exported wrong in the CAD interface (it has correct lengths when viewed in GIS).

Is it a problem with the seed file or the tool?

0 Kudos