Why won't "Obtained From" drop down list work?

03-03-2011 08:51 AM
RichGwozdz1
New Contributor
Hello -

I'm trying to set parameters for a script tool in 9.3 toolbox (using Arc 10). 
I want the parameter to be a "Field" data type, "obtained from" a Geodataset layer that has already been set as a parameter. However, the obtained from field remains blank - i.e., there is no dropdown list by which to point it other parameters.  I can't type anything in either.  This problem previously appeared in a 2009 thread (http://forums.esri.com/Thread.asp?c=93&f=993&t=289311) but the quick fix discovered there (set Multivalue to No) doesn't work for me - maybe an Arc10 issue?

Anyone have a fix or experience with this?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
JoelCalhoun
New Contributor III
From what I can tell you don't have a dataset defined as a paramter.
It looks like what you are defining are:
Coordinate System
Cell Size
Folder
Workspace

If the dataset from which you need to pick the field is static, you can add it as a paramter and specify a default value (your static dataset).  This will automaically populate the tool and the field picklist will become available.

I hope that helps.
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
I have seen weirdness in version 10...sometimes, simply saving the project, closing arcmap, restarting allows me to fix this "issue"  Other times it doesn't let me.  Also, if you want to use a field for 2 parameters, it doesn't allow you to use the same feature layer (or layer, or featureclass).  There appears to be no rhyme or reason to this and it is frustrating since the multiple input option isn't an option if you want to use one field for one parameter and another field for another.  I would put this down to a bug, but I don't have the time at present to document a complete workflow to document the process...it is on my summer list of things to do.
0 Kudos
StéphaneCouderq
New Contributor
Hi.
I am facing this same bug.
No way to get Obtained from to drop down.
Has this bug been documented ?
Is there a workaround ?
I'm on 10.1 sp1
Best regards,
Tim
0 Kudos