Project Raster Problem

02-18-2011 09:30 AM
AdamYesaitis
New Contributor
When reprojecting images the output images are left with a black border or lines at the image edge.(Screenshot attached.) 

I am projecting from a "NAD 1983 StatePlane New Jersey FIPS 2900 (US Feet).prj" into a "WGS_1984_Web_Mercator_Auxiliary_Sphere.prj".

These lines exist on the source images as NoData.  However it seems the re projection is assigning them actual values (1 or 0 as the input and output images are .tif images in G4 compression) instead of leaving them as NoData or assigning them the background value. 

What is the best way to stop this from happening?

Or possibly force the transformation to assign the Nodata values to the background value instead of the displayed value??

Any help would be appreciated.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
marianneestrada
New Contributor
I am having the same problems when reprojecting satellite imagery using the Project Raster Tool.
I have found that the edge pixels (black lines) in the projected imagery display in ArcMap, even when I symbolize the image tiles to Display the background value (0,0,0) as No Color.  The problem goes away when you zoom in to scales of < 1:5000 in my imagery, and appears if I am zoomed to scales of >= 1:5000.  This led me to believe that the problem is related to the Pyramids that are built automatically when you use the Project Raster tool.  Pyramids are used for image display performance.  If you remove the Pyramids, the issue goes away and the imagery displays fine - no black lines on the edges of the image tiles.  To do this, open your Windows Explorer and look for a .rrd file for each projected image. (For example Image1.rrd, etc) Either delete the .rrd files, or move them to another folder to test my theory.  In my case,.I really do not want to delete the Pyramids, because they speed up the display of the imagery.  So I need a solution that allows me to keep the Pyramids, but not have the black edge pixel problem
0 Kudos