pcowher

Collapse small polygons into surrounding larger ones?

Discussion created by pcowher on Feb 8, 2011
Latest reply on Feb 15, 2012 by fishski
Hi All,

I have what I thought would be a simple editing task, but has turned out to be cumbersome to put it mildly.

I have a set of land cover polygons from image data classified at a resolution of 1 foot.  Because the resolution of the reference data are so precise, I'm getting small 1 sqft polygons in the middle of the larger ones.  For example, a 1 sqft impervious surface poly surrounded by 50 sqft of managed turf.  I would like to be able to dissolve these tiny polygons into the bigger ones.

I've tried topologies, but that doesn't work correctly because I don't want to lose the resolution of the data that are already there, which happens with high cluster tolearances.  I can delete the polygons of less than a certain area, but then I'm left with tiny gaps that I have to hand edit out, which could potentially be in the hundreds of thousands.

Is there any way to programmatically collapse polygons under a certain size, without losing the integrity of the rest of the data?  I'm just trying to clean it up a little bit.

Thanks.

Pam

Attachments

Outcomes