eelizbic

prevent round to zero/decimal truncation on Access/Excel Table Import?

Discussion created by eelizbic on Sep 4, 2010
Latest reply on Sep 28, 2010 by eelizbic
Hi all,

I have a table in MS Access that I import into ArcMap to join to a shapefile.  However, I'm running into a problem where many of the table values are very small (on the order of 1e-15) and when imported to ArcMap the table shows zeros and table statistics sum to zero.

Is there a way to define how many decimal places Arc keeps when importing an Access table (or Excel)? I've set the number type in Access to double with 15 decimal places.  In ArcCatalog, the preview shows values in the columns (though Statistics still sum to zero), but in Arcmap I just get zeros.  I also tried exporting the table to Excel, setting the cell preferences to Scientific Number with 5 sig figs--but it still gets converted to zeros on import to Arc.

It is very important for my data not to be truncated/rounded this way.  The values are moles of emissions per second so they are supposed to be very small, but they are not zero!

Does anyone know of a solution, or a reasonable workaround to maintain my data integrity in ArcMap?

Any help would be appreciated!

I'm using ArcDesktop 9.3.1 with an ArcInfo license
I've attached an abbreviated version of my table in .xlsx format.

Erica

Outcomes