Feature Service: Support only simple symbology?

02-08-2010 03:34 PM
ErnstEijkelenboom
Esri Contributor
I've created a polygon layer and a line layer with a different values. Each value has his own symbology. When I publish this MSD as a mapservice and featureservice, not all the symbology is correct in the featureservice:
- a polygon with a Line Fill Symbol (10% Simple Hatch) is represented in the featureservice as
Symbol:
Simple Line Symbol:
Style: esriSLSSolid, Color: [0, 0, 0, 255], Width: 0,4

- a line with a Cartographic Line Symbol (Arrow at End) is represented in the featureservice as
Symbol:
Simple Marker Symbol:
Style: esriSMSCircle, Color: [0, 3, 166, 255], Size: 4, Angle: 0, XOffset: 0, YOffset: 0
Outline
Color: [0, 0, 0, 255], Width: 1

- The same for the default Rail Road Symbol. The defintion in the featureservice is:
Symbol:

Simple Marker Symbol:
Style: esriSMSCircle, Color: [105, 166, 0, 255], Size: 4, Angle: 0, XOffset: 0, YOffset: 0
Outline
Color: [0, 0, 0, 255], Width: 1

When I use this featureservice in a JavaScript editing widget application I see some strange things:
- a polygon represented as a line
- a line  represented as a point

See attachments.
2 Replies
GaryMacDougall
Esri Contributor
Here is some information on symbols and feature services. This will be in the help soon.

thanks
Gary

Most symbol types can be used with a feature service, however, in same cases the symbols may be downgraded.

For line layers, simple line symbols are supported. If other symbols are used, the feature service downgrades them to simple line symbols. For example, a cartographic line symbol in the map document may be drawn as a simple solid line in a feature service client. Also, if a line symbol has multiple layers, the feature service considers only the top layer.

For polygon layers, simple fill and picture fill symbols are supported. If other symbols are used, the feature service downgrades them to simple fill symbols. For multi-layer fill symbols, the feature service only considers the top layer. Also, a fill symbols outline symbol has the same level of support as described for line layers above.

For point layers, simple marker and picture marker symbols are supported. If other symbols are used, the feature service downgrades them to picture marker symbols. Multi layer marker symbols are also downgraded to picture marker symbols where the layers are merged into a single layer. Mask properties, where a halo can be set for a marker symbol, are not supported.

When a map service with feature access is started, the symbols are checked and downgraded if needed. In cases where a downgrade is required, a warning is added to the server log to describe which symbols were downgraded.

Note: It is recommended that RGB colors are used in the symbols; otherwise, minor changes may occur when the colors are converted to the RGB color format.
0 Kudos
GaryMacDougall
Esri Contributor
I was able to reproduce the problem using an optimized map service. We'll look into fixing one.

From the last post you'll notice that some symbol types are supported by the feature service and others are converted to a supported type when published. To get around this problem, you can change the symbols in the map before publishing. For example, instead of using a line fill symbol use a picture fill symbol. Once the bug is fixed, this conversion will happen automtically when the map is published and you won't have to make the changes in the map document.

thanks
Gary
0 Kudos