ArcGIS Online for Student

07-03-2014 02:01 PM
AndrewRudin
Occasional Contributor III
I am a graduate student who is familiar with ArcGIS Desktop and now I'm trying to learn about creating ArcGIS Online applications.  I am having problems getting started and hoping someone can answer some questions?  I am new the ArcGIS lexicon so forgive me if I use the wrong name for something:

Can students at schools with Campus-wide site licenses obtain an ArcGIS Online account that can publish hosted layers?  All I did to get started was create a free public account but it doesn't seem to do what I need to test creating a simple application.  At this time I just want to learn and don't really have a big enough need to purchase a full license.  Could do the 30-day trial license if I have to but was hoping there was some sort of account that could go along with the 1-year free student Desktop license I have.

Is there a way with someone with a free public account to upload a simple line and shapefile to their account and create a map and/or application with them?  I don't see an option after I upload a zip file containing my shapefile.

I thought a good start would be to create a web application where a user enters 2 addresses (a from_address and a to_address), then the code would find a transit stop point near that address, grab the ID's of transit routes that stop at that point, and then  display all those routs on the map in a highlighted color.  The only layer's I would upload are a transit stop point layer and a transit route line layer.  Can I write a toolbox tool that the application would use to do the "closest stop" and route line selection query and then somehow plug it into the online application?  Or do I have to do all that in javascript?

Thanks for any help you can provide getting me started
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Andrew,

There are a couple options here...it is possible that the academic institution may have an ArcGIS Online organizational account you can be added to,  you could create a 30 day free trial, or purchase a Home Use license of ArcMap which I believe comes with an ArcGIS Online organizational entitlement.

Here is a link to the Home Use page:

ArcGIS for Home Use Program | ArcGIS for Desktop Advanced for Personal Use

Here is a link to the ArcGIS Online public vs. organizational accounts comparison:

ArcGIS Online | Comparison Table

Publishing a zipped shapefile to a feature service for use in an ArcGIS Online web map is not supported at the public level. The customization of a web application would have to be done by downloading and configuring the application template and possibly writing and add-in using the Javascript API.

Here is a link to the ArcGIS Online Resource Center:

ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

Javascript API:

ArcGIS API for JavaScript