AnsweredAssumed Answered

PrintTask is Slow - Best Practices?

Question asked by infindibular on Jul 2, 2014
Latest reply on Oct 16, 2014 by infindibular
I've setup a web application primarilly based upon v. 3.5 of the API and Server 10.1 (we attempted an upgrade to SP1, but uninstalled after spending a lot of time on the phone with ESRI support) and have an out-of-the-box print service running on the server.

Now that people are using the application, the print task can be quite slow. With a single service, export times vary from 5 seconds to over a minute. With two services (cached), times can be over a minute.

Print task settings are vanilla, although I did change it to run asynchronously (not that I've seen a performance difference). Watching the CPU usage on the server, it appears as though the services are slow to load (there is a distinct CPU spike when exporting the final image).

The page is hosted privately, otherwise I would share a URL. If you have an inkling as to what could help, send me a message and I'll get you access.

If you have an idea of ways to improve either the print task or my services, I would welcome it. I am contemplating writing my own print task script soon so that I can trouble-shoot more effectively.

Outcomes