iOS vs. Android

06-27-2014 06:19 AM
MikeSullivan
New Contributor III
Dear ESRI,

I just read the article about this new app in ArcUser and I'm just wondering, when are you going to realize that the Android mobile market has taken over the iOS market?  I wish you would develop in Android first, and then iOS, or here's an idea....don't release any mobile software until you're ready to release it for both Android and iOS!!!  Releasing products for one OS is just ridiculous!! And on top of that, not making all mobile OS phone and tablets compatible!!  And why is it that the interface and functionality are different on both platforms?  Is this really a good software development practice?

All I'm asking is that you please consider your audience before releasing software that doesn't work!! Is this the future we have to look forward to from ESRI mobile products?

Sincerely,

An android owner, and former iOS user
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
ChrisLeSueur
Esri Contributor

Dear Android Owner,

I love your enthusiasm for Esri Apps on Android…this is great feedback for the App Team. I just want to assure you that we have not forgotten Android, it is very important to us. (I’m a diehard Android fan myself). We are well aware of Android’s mobile distribution and growing dominance. Ideally we would have released the Android and iOS version of Explorer at the same time, but we had a great number of people asking for Explorer on iOS and it did not make sense to hold back that release.

We are currently finishing up development on the Android version of Explorer for ArcGIS and it has come along nicely. (personally I can’t wait to get it out).  Next week at the Esri Users Conference we will be showing Explorer for ArcGIS on Android at the Esri Apps area of the Product Showcase, users can see a demo of the app and try it out for themselves.   We will also be demonstrating the app at the “ArcGIS Apps: The Road Ahead” session at UC. Right now we hope to have the Explorer on Android released in to the Play Store in the Fall, when it is released I think you will be pleased with the performance and native look and feel of the app.

-Chris

For more information on what is coming with Explorer see the sneak peak in the doc. http://doc.arcgis.com/en/explorer/#sneakPeek

MikeSullivan
New Contributor III

Thank you for the feedback!  It is greatly appreciated.  Looking forward to all Android releases and hoping they have the same functionality as iOS.

0 Kudos