Problem Joining a Table to Shape

06-26-2014 07:47 AM
JohnHandley
New Contributor III
I have a table that was created in Excel and saved as a csv. Add the table to my project, open the table and everything looks fine.

When I try to join the table to a shape file table, I select the field to join in the shape. But when I go to select the field in the csv table, the drop down of field choices is blank.

What am I doing wrong?  Thanks
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
I have a table that was created in Excel and saved as a csv. Add the table to my project, open the table and everything looks fine.

When I try to join the table to a shape file table, I select the field to join in the shape. But when I go to select the field in the csv table, the drop down of field choices is blank.

What am I doing wrong?  Thanks

Hard saying, but you use to of my least liked words:  Excel and Shapefile.  The problem might be the type of field your spreadsheet/csv file is.  Are you really using a Shapefile, or are you using a geodatabase feature class?

My suggestion(s):

Import your Excel worksheet to a geodatabase table.  When you do, you can change the field type of any field by using the properties function.  If you are really using a shapefile, import it into the same geodatabase.
That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
JohnHandley
New Contributor III
Hard saying, but you use to of my least liked words:  Excel and Shapefile.  The problem might be the type of field your spreadsheet/csv file is.  Are you really using a Shapefile, or are you using a geodatabase feature class?

My suggestion(s):

Import your Excel worksheet to a geodatabase table.  When you do, you can change the field type of any field by using the properties function.  If you are really using a shapefile, import it into the same geodatabase.

I am trying to Join this table to a shapefile which has a dbf table.
0 Kudos
IanMurray
Frequent Contributor
Could you post a screenshot of the table as it shows in ArcMap?  It would help to narrow down what the problem might be, since it could be a number of things.
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
the source and destination fields must be of the same type....remember spreadsheets columns can contain any type of data so ensure that all data in the column is of the same type
0 Kudos