ArcGIS Server in order to Geocode addresses?

06-25-2014 09:11 AM
ReneePardee
New Contributor II
Hello,

I am trying to geocode addresses in ArcMap 10.1; when I try it gives me an error message ???The address locator is damaged, would you like to repair it? Access to this resource is forbidden, regardless of authorization???. I???ve spent several hours trying to troubleshoot the ???Access to this resource is forbidden, regardless of authorization??? part of that message. The other thread which mentions the issue talks about ArcGIS servers. Do you need ArcGIS servers in order to geocode addresses or is there another problem? I've never used this technique before, but it seems pretty straightforward.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Tags (2)
19 Replies
KateLeroux
New Contributor III

I'm also getting this error and am interested in any help.

0 Kudos
ChristopheCharpentier
Occasional Contributor

Jeff Rogers‌ and Bruce Harold‌ will be able to help you out with this question

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Who, what where for your locator?

Are you using your own or arcgis online? If its yours,  is it published or is it local?

What type of locator(s) are you using?  Are they built with 10.1 or another version?

Where are the licators you are trying to use? Local network? Some other network?

All I've done is ask more questions, but we need a bit more info to give you a hand....

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
JeffRogers
Esri Contributor

Yes, we need a bit more information. 

Could you please describe the locator that you are trying to geocode against.  Where it came from, if you know, how it was built?

0 Kudos
KateLeroux
New Contributor III

I'll let the original poster answer on their own, but here's my situation. I'm new to ArcGIS, just a student, and I'm working through "Getting to Know ArcGIS for Desktop" (third edition). I have ArcMap 10.1 installed on my computer.

The address locator was created locally by ME, following the directions in chapter 14a and the sample data that came with the textbook. After adding the address locator in chapter 14b, it happens when I try to close that map.

The issue is that when this error message comes up, there's no way to make it go away. Hitting either button (Yes or No) just causes the error window to pop back up in a couple seconds. I have to manually kill ArcGIS and related processes to make it stop - just quitting the program isn't enough.

I can continue to progress by just moving on to the next chapter, but if there's a way to troubleshoot or fix this problem, or even just understand it better, that would help me learn more. Thanks!

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Kate-  I'm not familiar with the Getting To Know workbook as I've been geocoding for more years than I care to admit....  I'll see of there is an online copy I can take a look at...

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Kate-  sorry, nothing online for me to see.  It's all 'pay for view'...  My guess is something is goofy in the workbook directions.

0 Kudos
AgathaWong
New Contributor III

Kate, I would need a reproducible case with data to troubleshoot. Would you please zip up the locator and email it to me along with the reproducible steps? My email address is awong@esri.com.

Here a couple reasons that the locator can be broken:

• The locator was created on a network drive or database that the connection is no longer
    available for some reasons.
  • The locator is missing a file or critical properties.

I would suggest to try the geocoding tutorials

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/#/About_the_Geocoding_tutorial/002500000006000000/

and see if you still have the same problem. It seems unusual for you to see the error message like that. But I would like to see if it is a data issue or not.

Thanks.

Agatha

0 Kudos
KateLeroux
New Contributor III

Hi Agatha Wong,

Thank you for your offer to look into this! I went back to reproduce the issue and figured out the problem. I'll post it here in case any other students are looking for it.

In working through Chapter 14, the 'Atlanta customers' address locator is created and then used in each exercise. If, like me, you happen to close ArcMap between exercises, that address locator is not immediately available after re-opening. You will need to add it again using Manage Address Locators on the Geocoding toolbar. Otherwise, the default address locator (10.0 North America Geocode Service - ArcGIS Online) is chosen.

It seems that if I try using this other locator even once, I start getting the error message repeatedly. ArcMap and its related processes must be killed manually to make it stop.

Kate