BA Data

Jump to solution
06-23-2014 06:46 AM
MikeRudibaugh
New Contributor
Group,

I have a question relating to the data for the Businesses from the third party InfoGroup.

The sales volume data used to be in 1000's.  You would take the number and add three 0's. 

With my new install 2013 on 10.2, from my analysis, this makes no sense with some local employers. When I add three 0's to some of my small rural employers in east-central, IL we have employers doing over 1 billion in sales for 2013. This is simply not possible in our local economy. Could someone verify how we should use or evaluate the sales volume data for the 2013 data on business sales volume with the 2013 data?
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jason_RobinsonRobinson
Esri Regular Contributor
Group,

I have a question relating to the data for the Businesses from the third party InfoGroup.

The sales volume data used to be in 1000's.  You would take the number and add three 0's. 

With my new install 2013 on 10.2, from my analysis, this makes no sense with some local employers. When I add three 0's to some of my small rural employers in east-central, IL we have employers doing over 1 billion in sales for 2013. This is simply not possible in our local economy. Could someone verify how we should use or evaluate the sales volume data for the 2013 data on business sales volume with the 2013 data?

Mike,

Yes the Dun & Bradstreet business data in the Esri 2013/2018 data release changed things.  Where previously SALES_VOL one did add the three zeros.  Below is copied directly from the 2013_USA_DandB_Business_Listings_Data_Descriptions.pdf located in the C:\ArcGIS\Business Analyst\US_2013\Documentation for clients that have Business Analyst Desktop.

Sales Volume/Assets (SALES_VOL) ??? Estimated sales or assets in U.S. dollars.
This is a change from prior years where sales volume was reported in thousands of dollars.

Regards,
Jason R.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Jason_RobinsonRobinson
Esri Regular Contributor
Group,

Mike,

Yes the Dun & Bradstreet business data in the Esri 2013/2018 data release changed things.  Where previously SALES_VOL one did add the three zeros.  Below is copied directly from the 2013_USA_DandB_Business_Listings_Data_Descriptions.pdf located in the C:\ArcGIS\Business Analyst\US_2013\Documentation for clients that have Business Analyst Desktop.

Sales Volume/Assets (SALES_VOL) ??? Estimated sales or assets in U.S. dollars.
This is a change from prior years where sales volume was reported in thousands of dollars.

Regards,
Jason R.
0 Kudos
MikeRudibaugh
New Contributor
Thanks, Jason!
0 Kudos
MikeRudibaugh
New Contributor
Jason,

I do have a follow-up for you. Did the Dun & Bradstreet business 2013-2018 data replace the old data source from
the Info Group.  I assume that Esri built a new third party partner to populate the business data in the Business Analyst Extension. 

Mike
0 Kudos
Jason_RobinsonRobinson
Esri Regular Contributor
Jason,

I do have a follow-up for you. Did the Dun & Bradstreet business 2013-2018 data replace the old data source from
the Info Group.  I assume that Esri built a new third party partner to populate the business data in the Business Analyst Extension. 

Mike

Mike,

Yes just a data vendor switch for the business data.

2012= InfoGroup
2013= Dun & Bradstreet

Naturally support received a lot of call when clients where compare 2012 reports that leverage business data with 2013 because of very different methodologies not only to collection but also sales volume/total employees calculations.

Regards,
Jason R.
0 Kudos
ahourazandiatashbar
New Contributor

I have further question about SALESVOL variable. It is indicated that the SALESVOL is not the actual sales volume but is modeled. How can get to learn more about this model?