ERROR - An error occurred while creating features. (Unable to generate features)

06-19-2014 04:59 PM
RogerWilson1
New Contributor
I'm trying to import a CSV file with three columns: city, state and a non-geographic identifier for that location.  When I try to import the CSV file (with ~2000 rows), I get the subject error: "An error occurred while creating features. (Unable to generate features)"

I thought it might be a problem with the total number of rows, so I started importing csv files with ~100 rows each.  I successfully imported 4 files (each with ~100 rows), so there's no error with my data (a city/state that can't be found).  Yet, if I combine the four files (and have a single csv file with ~400 rows), I get the error again.  Is there a limit to the number of rows that an imported csv file can have?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Are you importing directly into the map or adding to My Content (with a organizational account)?

If you're importing directly into the map:  When using latitude and longitude, the first 1,000 rows of features are displayed on the map.  When using addresses, the first 250 rows of features are displayed. (the 250 limit is for public accounts {free}, but you may get up to 1000 if you have an org account, I'm not sure). While you can break it up into smaller files, adding over 1000 features across several layers will slow down browser performance.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos