How to use simple markers to show six categories?

06-10-2014 12:46 PM
JulieK
by
Occasional Contributor
how can I get the template of this playlist storymap( http://storymaps.esri.com/stories/2013/storylocator/ ) , this does exactly what I want?

The downloaded template  allows only four colored Markers and I want to use simple marker and show six categories or filters. How do I go about this? Please help!!

Can I get a template of the above storymap?
thanks,
Julie
18 Replies
StephenSylvia
Esri Regular Contributor
In order to change the symbology of the map, you will need to go into the code and create a custom renderer. This requires the developer version of the source code and will require you to install a couple apps to build the code for production use.

Once you have done that, you can open the MapConfig.js (source > app > javascript > playlist > config >MapConfig.js), set the use default renderer variable to false, and fill in a new renderer function in the else statement of the getRenderer function.

Here's the story locator MapConfig.js file to help you out: https://github.com/ssylvia/playlist-storytelling-template-js/blob/world-of-story-maps/source/app/jav...

Once you have it working, you can build your app and publish it on a server.
0 Kudos
JulieK
by
Occasional Contributor
In order to change the symbology of the map, you will need to go into the code and create a custom renderer. This requires the developer version of the source code and will require you to install a couple apps to build the code for production use.

Once you have done that, you can open the MapConfig.js (source > app > javascript > playlist > config >MapConfig.js), set the use default renderer variable to false, and fill in a new renderer function in the else statement of the getRenderer function.

Here's the story locator MapConfig.js file to help you out: https://github.com/ssylvia/playlist-storytelling-template-js/blob/world-of-story-maps/source/app/jav...

Once you have it working, you can build your app and publish it on a server.

Hi,
thanks for replying!!
I downloaded the developer version and can see MapConfig.js in the path you mentioned. It doesn't let me open in notepad++ or any editor.

The couple of apps to be downloaded is required for building after I edit the mapconfig right? or do I need these to edit the config file as well.

Please help, I am a little lost here:(
thanks!!
0 Kudos
JulieK
by
Occasional Contributor
Hi,
thanks for replying!!
I downloaded the developer version and can see MapConfig.js in the path you mentioned. It doesn't let me open in notepad++ or any editor.

The couple of apps to be downloaded is required for building after I edit the mapconfig right? or do I need these to edit the config file as well.

Please help, I am a little lost here:(
thanks!!

I went ahead and installed all the software you mentioned(phew!)
I made the changes in the mapconfig file and now I am trying to build it. I get the following the "unable to read ".jshintrc" file(error code: ENOENT) .

how do I fix it? please help!!
thanks 🙂
0 Kudos
JulieK
by
Occasional Contributor
I went ahead and installed all the software you mentioned(phew!)
I made the changes in the mapconfig file and now I am trying to build it. I get the following the "unable to read ".jshintrc" file(error code: ENOENT) .

how do I fix it? please help!!
thanks 🙂

downloaded the zip file again and that seemed to have worked!! thanks:)
0 Kudos
CONABIONC_for_Knowledge_and_Us
Occasional Contributor

Hi Julie,

I also try to use simple marker symbols for > 4 categories and downloaded the dev-version. However, I´m not sure what apps I have to install additionally? Especially I don´t find where to define the webmap-id within the source code. Any hints?

thanks & best regards

0 Kudos
JulieK
by
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

Here is the link I followed to install additional apps to setup the developer download on my machine. I could edit it and rebuild it . The link below gives good workflow. I followed it just like that and it worked for me.

Esri/playlist-storytelling-template-js · GitHub

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Thank you! Well - I followed the steps but when I try to setup the project folder in the git-shell, it says "could locate Gemfile". However, I succesfully installed the gem bundler in C:\rubydev before. Any idea where I´m doing wrong?

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Ok - the problem was that I didn´t select the directory where I downloaded the the app´s dev-version. (phew)

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hi Julie, did you finally manage to change the code? I´m not sure where do adapt the MapConfig.js? Would it also be possible to modify the default renderer?

thank you & best regards

0 Kudos