Strange tile request

06-09-2014 06:18 PM
MikeC
by
New Contributor II
In the HelloWorld example, the map access service.arcisonline.com/ArcGIS/rest/services/World_Street_Map/MapServer. Even I did not add the layer to the MapView it always made a request to /ArcGIS/rest/services/World_Street_Map/MapServer/tile/-1/0/0.

If I have 10 different layers in the MapView, it will got 10 requests for the -1/0/0. You know that tile does not exists, so why this thing happens?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
ShellyGill1
Esri Contributor
Hi,

I understand that is the first request to a service based on a tiled layer - information in the response allows allows the MapView to work out what to show for missing tiles in that specific tiled layer - some services have a specific 'no data' tile to show, whereas others return a 404 error for a missing tile. The MapView can then work out which option it's dealing with.

Hope this helps some,
0 Kudos
MikeC
by
New Contributor II
Understood.

Can the missing tiles (no data files / 404) be initialized at the first time it encounters the hit? Most people may never get the missing tile hit throughout his own session. But the current implementation force people try the thing they may never face in every single layers.
0 Kudos
ShellyGill1
Esri Contributor
From what I know, the information about how to handle no data tiles is needed at layer initialization time, before more tile requests are sent, so that an appropriate handler can be set for every subsequent genuine tile request. If the no data tile were not assessed in advance, more work would need to happen on every genuine tile request, which would obviously impact efficiency. Having said that, I wouldn't expect the initial request to be a lengthy operation, it happens only once per layer initialization, and I would not expect this to surface to the end user in any way including with any perceptible delay in layer initialization - so if you are finding that end users are aware of this specific request in any way (not just from LogCat), then let us know.

Thanks,
0 Kudos