Admin Rights or No Admin Rights to Server Machine?

Jump to solution
06-05-2014 07:13 PM
TimHayes
Occasional Contributor III
After ArcGIS for Server 10.2.2 is installed/set-up on my server machine; am I still required to have full Admin Rights to the Server Machine or can it be downgraded to something less than full Admin Rights?

What level of rights/permissions are needed for the administrator (in my case the GIS Manager) of ArcGIS for Server 10.2.2 on a Windows 2003/2008 Server Machine?

We just migrated to a different server machine that is now administered by our IT Group. Me, being the GIS Manager, is in the Facilities Maintenance Division not IT. I need to administer ArcGIS for Server 10.2.2 and build map viewers using Flex. On our previous server machine, I had full admin rights as it was 100% under my control. This is no longer the case.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
You don't need to have administrator rights to the server in order to manage ArcGIS for Server.  In 10.0 you needed to be in the agsadmin group but now the architecture has changed quite a bit so this requirement no longer exists.  As such, connecting to your GIS server via ArcCatalog or ArcGIS Server Manager will be what you need to perform most of your tasks and you can do so without your domain account being in the Administrator group on the server.  That being said, there are many good reasons why you would want to keep your administrative access.  For example, you may require space on disk to store your data or service definitions (and any other file resources) which will require at least write access (modify is good too, but admin is easiest).  You're not going to want to ask IT to grant you special permissions to a only location from which to publish; going through IT in any organization can be painful especially when it comes to requesting access.  Also, it is much easier to publish web applications in IIS if you are an administrator.  If you are not, it is possible to still publish applications under the INETPUB folder with some workarounds; one of which is discussed here.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
You don't need to have administrator rights to the server in order to manage ArcGIS for Server.  In 10.0 you needed to be in the agsadmin group but now the architecture has changed quite a bit so this requirement no longer exists.  As such, connecting to your GIS server via ArcCatalog or ArcGIS Server Manager will be what you need to perform most of your tasks and you can do so without your domain account being in the Administrator group on the server.  That being said, there are many good reasons why you would want to keep your administrative access.  For example, you may require space on disk to store your data or service definitions (and any other file resources) which will require at least write access (modify is good too, but admin is easiest).  You're not going to want to ask IT to grant you special permissions to a only location from which to publish; going through IT in any organization can be painful especially when it comes to requesting access.  Also, it is much easier to publish web applications in IIS if you are an administrator.  If you are not, it is possible to still publish applications under the INETPUB folder with some workarounds; one of which is discussed here.
0 Kudos