AnsweredAssumed Answered

ESRI's development plan for developers

Question asked by brenth on Jun 5, 2014
Latest reply on Jun 6, 2014 by brenth
I think I am going to scream.  We develop in C# using Visual Studio (2010, 2012, 2013 - doesn't matter).

I am now investigating our migration to 10.2.2.  I was pleased to note that no changes (other than a build) were required to make a 10.2.2 compatible program for ArcEngine and ArcGIS.  All the builds worked as x86 builds.

So I turned my attention to ArcGIS Server.  I spent most of the day trying to figure out why my Extensions weren't working even though they compiled and loaded fine.  Finally I compiled the base projects with "Any CPU".  Like magic everything started working.

So (hopefully) I took my "Any CPU" compiled projects and put them back into ArcEngine and ArcGIS.  No luck - you STILL have to compile as x86.  So now it seems I have to maintain ANOTHER set of DLL's just for ArcGIS Server.

It shouldn't surprise me.  ESRI has never been one to care much for code reuse.  (Witness Silverlight API, WPF API, etc which are all different code bases from ArcObjects - not to mention the old MapObjects).

My suggestion to ESRI.  Make it ALL work same - just one set of Objects for everything compiled the same way, please.  It will save me many headaches and phone calls to support.

Outcomes