ARCGIS mobile VS ARCGIS RUNTime

06-05-2014 12:04 AM
Labels (1)
aymantoubasi
New Contributor
Dears,
i want to develop an application running on windows tablet 8
and i have an experience for development using arcGIS runtime for WPF
i came to know that i can use the arcGIS mobile (windows mobile) to develop the same functionality for map browsing and editing
could you please clarify my what is the differences between the 2 platforms ? and what to choose

regards,
0 Kudos
3 Replies
AnttiKajanus1
Occasional Contributor III
Hey,

There are several things that you need to take account when deciding what SDK to use but here is some thoughts.

Options:
- ArcGIS Windows Mobile
- ArcGIS Runtime SDK for WPF
- ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET

ArcGIS Windows Mobile SDK

SDK that can be used to create Windows (PDA / Windows desktop) based applications. This product has become in a very mature age which has both pluses and minuses. Depending on your requirements you can build functionality but if you want to provide fast modern user experience in your application, I would be looking two another options.

ArcGIS Runtime SDK for WPF

SDK to build Windows desktop application. Since you are targeting Windows 8 tablet, you need to run x86/x64 platform (ARM not supported). This is also mature SDK so if functionality that is already in the SDK provides what you need, this might be a good option. Focus in this SDK is on mouse based application but building touch based ones is possible but needs a bit more work. Offline functionality is supported in some extend but ie. synchronization between offline and online needs custom work.

ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET (Beta)

This is brand new SDK (currently in beta) that you can also use to build Windows Store applications. This enables you to use ARM tablets. If you are targeting desktop application that is run in the tabled, you can also use Windows Desktop API from the SDK. This SDK is evolution from WPF/Silverlight/Windows Phone ones and provides one SDK for all of those platforms. This SDK provides best support for online and offline workflows. Currently we are working very hard with this SDK to get it finished and I'm very exited with all the possibilities it provides like multi platform development with Universal Apps (Windows Store and Windows Phone).

Summa summarum:

Depending your requirements, you might be able to use any of the SDK's. If you have change to start working with the new .NET SDK, I would go with that for many reasons. It's modern, fast, provides good support for online and offline, supports touch/mouse/pen, multi platform development (maybe not valuable in our current project but knowledge can be reused the best), fast development cycle and it's lost of fun to use.

Hope you got something out from this.
0 Kudos
aymantoubasi
New Contributor
Thank you for your prompt response,
actually we had an experience for developing using WPF SDK, but we want to use the windows mobile one to develop Windows applications.
so what are the limitations for using the windows mobile SDK??
what we need is to use the basic functions ( zoom, pan, select feature, query, search....etc) and editing functionality, are they supported?

please advice
0 Kudos
AnttiKajanus1
Occasional Contributor III
I haven't used Windows Mobile SDK a lot so you could get better response to that question using http://forums.arcgis.com/forums/26-ArcGIS-for-Windows-Mobile forums. Read more about SDK from here : http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/windows-mobile-sdk/concepts/index.html#/Introduction_to_ArcGIS_R...

I'm curious what requirements / decisions are driving you to use ArcGIS for Windows Mobile?
0 Kudos