tpcolson

Can free public AGOL accounts use collector?

Discussion created by tpcolson Champion on Jun 4, 2014
Latest reply on May 11, 2018 by tpcolson
I created one of those "Free" AGOL public accounts and attempted to log into AGOL on an Android device running collector 10.2.3. It refused the login attempt with "Please use an organizational account". The Collector documentation is not clear on what user groups can access the application and/or its content:

"Because Collector for ArcGIS is a feature of ArcGIS Online, you will need an ArcGIS Online free trial or paid subscription or Portal for ArcGIS account to use the app."

Does that mean ONLY paid subscription and/or organizational accounts can use the collector app on mobile devices?

If that's the case...what is the logic behind that? Imagine a municipality wanting to publish a collector app so citizens can report water line breaks, downed trees...whatever using mobile devices. I can't imagine that ESRI thinks that the City of Boston is going to create 3 million accounts in its AGOL organization portal....

I can access the collector app just fine using my organization account.

The whole point here is to be able to create mobile apps that citizens can use to interact with gov't. Is ESRI supporting that?

Outcomes