jdnewell86

Tracing a polyline segments that falls between points?

Discussion created by jdnewell86 on May 30, 2014
Latest reply on May 30, 2014 by rfairhur24
Hello!

I am hoping that someone might have a suggestion to make this process a bit easier...

I have a point shapefile that represents the start and end points of certain streams within the state. Additionally I was provided with a polyline shapfile with stream segments that represents the stream flowing between the two start/end points.

What I need to be able to do is find an easier way of selecting the individual polyline segments that fall in between the corresponding start and end point. I have been going through and manual selecting the segments but I have over 450 streams that I need to do this for and eventually I will probably miss a small segment that should be included.

A more detailed breakdown of the scenario I am in:

I was provided a point and line file from the IEPA. The point file for all intents and purposes is finished but what I am trying to do is get a better version of the line file. I am trying to use the provided polyline file in conjunction with a medium resolution NHDPlus flowline file and a high resolution NHD flowline file. I need a way to select the segments in the NHD high/medium flowline files that are represented in the IEPA shapefile.

Thank you for taking the time to try and help!

Jonathan

Outcomes