Where to Find How Many Tiles Have Been Generated?

05-28-2014 01:39 PM
PaulStephenson
Occasional Contributor III
I realize there are samples and estimates out there, but I am interested in seeing how many tiles were actually generated for any given existing service. Map Tile Generation costs 1 credit per 1,000 tiles generated. Were would one find the number of tiles, either before, during or after they are generated?

Thanks

Paul
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
HeathBrackett1
Occasional Contributor II
Paul,

On the Item Description page of your tiled service, near the bottom of the Properties, there is Tiles information.  If you click "Manage Tiles" it will show you how many tiles have been created (including at each scale level).

Heath
0 Kudos
PaulStephenson
Thanks for the reply Heath, I appreciate it. That answers where you can find the number after the creation for AGOL-hosted services anyhow. I don't remember seeing anything during the creation of tiled services about the number of tiles that will be created (you do get an estimate for cache size). I also wonder about existing services running on ArcGIS for Server, how would you find the number of tiles generated? The good news is there are estimates that show unless you are working with a very large area, tile generation should not cost you too many credits to host on AGOL. A big point here though is that the credit system still seams a little mysterious at times.

Paul
0 Kudos
HeathBrackett1
While it's true that your cache size won't be that large if your area of interest is rather small, tile generation at the largest scales can still be quite heavy.  That is where the cost of tile generation and storage can really get you.  However, credit consumption for tile storage isn't nearly as expensive as the cost for tile generation.  My recommendation would be to generate your tile cache on a local machine and then upload a tile package to ArcGIS Online.  This will bypass the tile generation credit costs and also allows you to only cache tiles for the areas where you have data, so that you aren't generating a bunch of blank tiles.  However, I haven't figured out yet how to add a generic "blank" tile to the ArcGIS Online tile cache to be used where there is no exisiting tile.  So when the tiled service is used in an application, the javaScript console returns 404 errors for each missing tile.  It doesn't affect the end user, but I am not sure whether it slows performance of the application at all.

That being said, I'm not sure how to access the number of tiles on an ArcGIS Server tiled service.
0 Kudos
HeathBrackett1
By the way, now there are ArcToolbox tools (Data Management -> Tile Cache) that allow you to create a tile cache on your desktop.  It makes publishing tiles much simpler (although it takes quite a bit of processing power).
0 Kudos
PaulStephenson
Thanks for the input Heath. Definitely keeping the create locally concept in mind, I'm interested in giving it a try.

Paul
0 Kudos
PaulStephenson
Quick update for finding tile counts of existing services hosted on ArcGIS for Server:

Right-Click Service | View Cache Status | Show Details Tab of Cache Status Dialog Box
0 Kudos