Import TIFF file to SDE

05-27-2014 04:36 AM
RudyCharlot
New Contributor III
Good morning everyone,
what is the best way to import an image file (tiff) to an SDE geodatabase?
Please I would appreciate any help on this issue. Thank you much.

Sincerely,
Rudy Charlot
0 Kudos
5 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
What is the best vegetable?  There are at least a half-dozen ways to load a raster
into ArcSDE, all of them "best" under certain conditions, but best practice is not to
do so at all.

If you provide complete information about your RDBMS and ArcGIS software available,
and what you intend to do with the image, we could provide more guidance on making
best use of what you have.

- V
0 Kudos
RudyCharlot
New Contributor III
the ArcSDE is a "postgresql" and i am currently using 10.0.
I am creating a cache map for my stormwater field crew that I would like everything on my group layer for my cache map
to be located into the ArcSDE geodatabase, but I have never imported a tiff file into ArcSDE database before.
Once again, thank you for the prompt response.

Regards,
Rudy
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
While its possible to load rasters into a database instance, doing so is sufficiently wasteful
that it is strongly not recommended.  Mosaic datasets are the current "best" way to handle
rasters, but your ArcGIS release is too old to take advantage of them.

- V
0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Hi Rudy,

As Vince mentioned, a mosaic dataset would be your best option, and this data model is available at 10.0:

http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/#/What_s_new_for_rasters/00qp0000000w000000/
0 Kudos
RudyCharlot
New Contributor III
Thank you very much guys. I will take Vince's advice not to have it imported into the SDE geodatabase.

Best regards,
Rudy
0 Kudos