Geocoding on a 64 bit version 10.1

05-26-2014 08:07 AM
JorgeVidinha
New Contributor II
Hi ,
I have 10.1 SP1 installed plus the background geoprocessing patch for 64 bit geoprocessing.
Im trying to geocode a large file, so wanted to take advantage of 64 bits processing. My Surprise when i try to change properties of  locators  to make use of runtime memory limits to more the 2024 it gives me an error saying out of range limits. How can i process set up locators as described in http://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/2011/02/09/tuning-a-locator-for-improved-performance/

I also have enabled the background geoprocessing in ArcCatalog > Geoprocessing options and created a model to run the job, but when looking at taskmanager at run time its always a process of arccatalog (32bits) running and nothing related to 64 bits.

Thank you in advance all the support.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DEWright_CA
Occasional Contributor III
Hi ,
I have 10.1 SP1 installed plus the background geoprocessing patch for 64 bit geoprocessing.
Im trying to geocode a large file, so wanted to take advantage of 64 bits processing. My Surprise when i try to change properties of  locators  to make use of runtime memory limits to more the 2024 it gives me an error saying out of range limits. How can i process set up locators as described in http://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/2011/02/09/tuning-a-locator-for-improved-performance/

I also have enabled the background geoprocessing in ArcCatalog > Geoprocessing options and created a model to run the job, but when looking at taskmanager at run time its always a process of arccatalog (32bits) running and nothing related to 64 bits.

Thank you in advance all the support.

The options that run in ArcCatalog will only be available in 32bit memory space; this is because the ArcCatalog engine as it runs is only able to run with those parameters.

The best method is to create a model in catalog, export it to python; then using the 64bit tools from ESRI execute your model that way; you then won't have that space/memory constraint.
JorgeVidinha
New Contributor II

Thanks David ,

And how about knowing the status of the process when running the geocoding via a python script, do you have any idea on that ? How to get similar information like the percentages of geocoding and records geocoded per hour , similar infos like when running from arccatalog. Most important to know that the script its still alive and running .@David Wright

0 Kudos
DEWright_CA
Occasional Contributor III

Jorge Vidinha

Sadly from the Python side you don't have out of the box the ability to do a interactive response that way. From the Python class you pass a table and it runs as a batch until complete; you don't have the API level calls to be able to do a interactive status of it.

To do something even close you would need to set a timer at the beginning of the process, then return the time of duration at the end of the process and then perform your own selects against the results to report the number of Matches/Ties/Unmatched that were returned.

Now if you wanted to build your own batch processing engine on-top of ArcPy you could catch this, conceptually you would need to do the following:

1. Create a stub results location

2. Open the table to be geocoded

3. Loop through the records to be geocoded one by one and report the results to counters to be displayed

4. Write your results to your stub location

5. Rinse-Lather-Repeat until competed; then you would have all the counters and metrics to compare performance.

To your last question; as to knowing if the script is still live; you can add a try/catch logic to your script wrapping the actual Geocoder calls with the ability to fire off a email if there is a failure. I actually use this to send TXT messages or Tweets.