Dual Range Intersection Results Wrong When Street Names Similar

05-22-2014 09:13 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
When performing an intersection geocode of two different streets with similar names, I'm given many incorrect results with varying high scores. When I geocode intersections where the street names are not similar I get the expected single match with a score of 100. This ONLY happens when the street names have similar words. 

Examples:

"LEILA CT & LEILA LN"
"SAINT CHARLES ST & E SAINT CHARLES ST"
"FRANKLIN RD & FRANKLIN ST"

To describe in detail I'll explain further with the "LEILA CT & LEILA LN" intersection as an example.

This is a valid intersection and it should only produce one point of intersection. However, I get 22 different results.  What appears to happen is the first result is given a 100 score and plots to the correct point.  Then the next results are of all the intersections with the first road.  They are listed as "LEILA CT & LEILA CT" (note that it is repeating the first road name but it plots at Leila CT & <OTHER ROAD>).  Then the next results are all the intersections along the second road, also listing them strangely (ie "LEILA LN & LEILA LN").  Then finally, the last result is the reverse of what was searched, "LEILA LN & LEILA CT" and plots to the correct position. Essentially being a duplicate of the first but given the lowest overall score of 93.83.

I am able to reproduce this is multiple data sets.  I'm using ArcDesktop 10.1 SP1.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
0 Replies