Zuerchertech

Dual Range Intersection Results Wrong When Street Names Similar

Discussion created by Zuerchertech on May 22, 2014
When performing an intersection geocode of two different streets with similar names, I'm given many incorrect results with varying high scores. When I geocode intersections where the street names are not similar I get the expected single match with a score of 100. This ONLY happens when the street names have similar words. 

Examples:

"LEILA CT & LEILA LN"
"SAINT CHARLES ST & E SAINT CHARLES ST"
"FRANKLIN RD & FRANKLIN ST"

To describe in detail I'll explain further with the "LEILA CT & LEILA LN" intersection as an example.

This is a valid intersection and it should only produce one point of intersection. However, I get 22 different results.  What appears to happen is the first result is given a 100 score and plots to the correct point.  Then the next results are of all the intersections with the first road.  They are listed as "LEILA CT & LEILA CT" (note that it is repeating the first road name but it plots at Leila CT & <OTHER ROAD>).  Then the next results are all the intersections along the second road, also listing them strangely (ie "LEILA LN & LEILA LN").  Then finally, the last result is the reverse of what was searched, "LEILA LN & LEILA CT" and plots to the correct position. Essentially being a duplicate of the first but given the lowest overall score of 93.83.

I am able to reproduce this is multiple data sets.  I'm using ArcDesktop 10.1 SP1.

Outcomes