Transforming GCS_WGS_1984 to WGS_1984_Web_Mercator_Auxiliary_Sphere; Density Kernel

05-20-2014 07:04 AM
JaredRutledge
New Contributor
Greetings Everyone,

I keep thinking I am adept at knowing this program, but I keep finding new ways to get confused.

Key Points:

1. my spatial coordinates are in degrees, I geocode using whatever free tool I can find online
2. I am trying to create a heat map using spatial analyst density kernel density
3. I know I have to reproject my data from degrees to something with meters
4. I know I can do this on the fly with the environments button in Kernel Density tool
5. In the Kernel Density tool I set things up thusly

Input point or polyline feature:
mydiseasedata (this is in degrees GCS_WGS_1984)

Population field:
NONE

At this point I go to the environments button in the kernel density

I select Output Coordinates

Output Coordinate System

As Specified Below

In the box below as specified below, I selected WGS_1984_Web_Mercator_Auxiliary_Sphere

Geographic Transformations

I leave this blank

Then I hit ok

Now we are back in the Kernel Density tool

I hit ok

Then I get the classic Error

Kernel Density [080248_05202014]
Output raster: <empty>
Inputs
Environments

Guys I need some help here.

I have been through every YouTube tutorial and ArcGIS thread on this issue. Everyone says I need to transform on the fly and I think that is what I am doing, but I must be doing something wrong.

Any assistance?

J
0 Kudos
5 Replies
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor
Hello,

Web Mercator (Aux Sphere) is not the best coordinate reference system for kernel density. I would guess (not know kernel density well) that an equal area projection would be better. We have some world- and continent-based equal area projections, but if you can build a custom one for a smaller area, that would be even better.

The error your getting is "invalid output extent". As a double-check the input values are all decimal degrees?

I also found another thread with the same tool, same error where the OP said the problem turned out to be too much data.

Melita
0 Kudos
JaredRutledge
New Contributor
Do you have a suggestion of which coordinates system might be useful. I have tried several.
0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor
What area are you working with? Although not equal area, what happens if you try a local UTM or State Plane zone (if in the US)?

Melita
0 Kudos
JaredRutledge
New Contributor
I am working with central California. I went to the NAD_1983_California_Teale_Albers.

Then I selected WGS_1984_(ITRF00)_To_NAD_1983_HARN as my Geographic Transformation.

I received the same error.
0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor
Hmmmm. Well, as I said, I don't know the tool. I would try projecting the data outside tool to Teale Albers, then trying the tool. If that doesn't work, go with that other thread and try to reduce the data.

Also, if you haven't yet, try searching the forums, or generally Google, to see if you can turn up other possible solutions.

I'm sorry that I can't be of more help.

Melita
0 Kudos