Convert point coordinates from UTM to Albers Equal Area conic Africa

05-14-2014 05:25 PM
JustinPargeter
New Contributor
Hi,

I am trying to convert a series of point coordinates from UTM  to Albers Equal Area conic Africa, does anyone have any tips on how to do this?

Thanks in advance
0 Kudos
6 Replies
NeilAyres
MVP Alum
As long as the input points have a correctly defined spatial reference in UTM, you can....
1. Load the data into a new ArcMap session, right click somewhere in the data frame to bring up the df properties dialog,
go to the coord sys tab, select your desired coordinate system (see Continental / Africa).
2. Or use the Project tool from the toolbox. This will create a new feature in the output coordinate system.
Also from step 1 above, you can right click on the layer in the toc, and export the data. Use "coord sys of df" option to write out a new feature in the new projection.
Good luck, Neil
0 Kudos
JustinPargeter
New Contributor
Hi Neil,

Thank you for your reply.

I have tried to change the df projection to Albers and then to export the point spread (defined by UTM E and S coords), but still end up with a point spread defined by the UTM coordinates. Am I missing something here?
0 Kudos
michaelcollins1
Occasional Contributor III
check the properties of your new shape file. What projected coordinate system is listed?
If you have easting and northing fields, they won't repopulate with the new coordinate system, you'll have to recalculate the geometry
0 Kudos
JustinPargeter
New Contributor
Hi and thank you for the reply,

The shapefile is now projected in Albers Equal Area conic Africa. I do have easting and northing fields for each point, but how would I now recalculate the geometry to have them correlated with my DEM which is also projected in Albers Equal Area conic Africa?
0 Kudos
michaelcollins1
Occasional Contributor III
right click on the data frame layer, and under general properties, select your map units.
In an edit session, right click on the field in the attribute table and calculate the geometry.
0 Kudos
JustinPargeter
New Contributor
Ah yes, ok got it, I will give that a try.

Thank you again for your time.
0 Kudos