Desire Lines - 080040 : Error while executing Desire Lines

05-12-2014 12:03 PM
RyanFurlong
New Contributor III
Greetings!  I have a customer data file that contains around 723K customer points for 79 stores that I am trying to calculate the drive times for.  I have put my customer and store files into the Business Analyst Store and Customer setup.  Whenever I try to run desire lines I keep getting this error: "080040 : Error while executing Desire Lines".  Anyone know of a solution?  I really need to be able to run all the stores and customers at once as doing one store at a time would be cumbersome and too time consuming.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Jason_RobinsonRobinson
Esri Regular Contributor
Greetings!  I have a customer data file that contains around 723K customer points for 79 stores that I am trying to calculate the drive times for.  I have put my customer and store files into the Business Analyst Store and Customer setup.  Whenever I try to run desire lines I keep getting this error: "080040 : Error while executing Desire Lines".  Anyone know of a solution?  I really need to be able to run all the stores and customers at once as doing one store at a time would be cumbersome and too time consuming.

Ryan,

Not surprising that this process would fail based on the size of the inputs and attempting to calculate drive time or drive distance as well as a current open bug in NIM085445 which cause an analysis to fail if a point falls upon a non-traversable network element.  However directly using Network Analyst to create an OD Cost Matrix (this is basically what Business Analyst is using) it will bypass NIM085445 as there is actually a check box to simply exclude non-traversable network elements.

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/#/OD_cost_matrix_analysis/00470000004r000000/

From a best practices perspective you will still more than likely need to run much smaller subsets of data.

Regards,
Jason R.
0 Kudos
RyanFurlong
New Contributor III
Ryan,

Not surprising that this process would fail based on the size of the inputs and attempting to calculate drive time or drive distance as well as a current open bug in NIM085445 which cause an analysis to fail if a point falls upon a non-traversable network element.  However directly using Network Analyst to create an OD Cost Matrix (this is basically what Business Analyst is using) it will bypass NIM085445 as there is actually a check box to simply exclude non-traversable network elements.

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/#/OD_cost_matrix_analysis/00470000004r000000/

From a best practices perspective you will still more than likely need to run much smaller subsets of data.

Regards,
Jason R.

Hi Jason, thank you for the response, I will OD Cost Matrix a try.  Do you know what the maximum amount of data that it can run drive time analysis on?
0 Kudos
Jason_RobinsonRobinson
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi Jason, thank you for the response, I will OD Cost Matrix a try.  Do you know what the maximum amount of data that it can run drive time analysis on?

Ryan,

I have been supporting Business Analyst Desktop for 12 years and with the myriad tools that Business Analyst has I get the most performance related errors with proximity analysis (locator report) and Desire Lines when selecting the options for drive distance or drive time as clients will overwhelm the tools based on the number of records.  From my understanding these tools are loading all these streets into memory so it will process till it runs out of usable RAM and that is pretty easy to do even with 64-bit systems and the larger amounts of RAM they allow to be used.  Also having 64-bit background geoprocessing might be helpful and then just using ArcCatalog into ArcToolbox and the Network Analyst tools can free up resources.

Regards,
Jason R.
0 Kudos
TylerSchwartz2
Occasional Contributor II

I thought I would just chime in here and mention that if anyone is encountering this error, it is because I commonly find that there are customer features with a <null> STORE_ID assignment.  The tool will error out if it there is not a store assignment for every one of the customer features.  In my case, I set these to a non-existent store ID, such as "0" or "99" etc, using a select by attribute and then a field calculator on the selected features.

0 Kudos