Overwriting Map Extent - Data Driven Pages

Jump to solution
05-12-2014 11:24 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
I work in forestry and all of my pages are run off of the cutblock_ID at a scale of a scale of 1:5000.

So since the cutblock is centered on the map, the issue I am having is that sometimes there is a feature (ie: a road) which continues out of the data frame so I need adjust the center location of my map so all the road shows but I'm not sure if you can do that with DD pages..

I know of two options:

a) change map scale
b) change map orientation

However I would like to avoid those two options.

Any other Idea's?
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JimCousins
MVP Regular Contributor
I expect that the exceptions you need to handle are relatively few. Make a layer of the cutblock centers (polygon to points or use points if you already have them) and edit the exceptions to locate them where you want the map centered. Leave this layer turned off, but use it as your data driven pages source layer. If you do need to alter scale to show the extent you require, use a polygon or line feature instead.
Best Regards,
Jim

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JimCousins
MVP Regular Contributor
I expect that the exceptions you need to handle are relatively few. Make a layer of the cutblock centers (polygon to points or use points if you already have them) and edit the exceptions to locate them where you want the map centered. Leave this layer turned off, but use it as your data driven pages source layer. If you do need to alter scale to show the extent you require, use a polygon or line feature instead.
Best Regards,
Jim
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Thanks Jim,

Your right, it is very few exceptions. I found out yesterday that indeed I could use a different map layer like the roads which worked.

Thanks for your help,

Aubin
0 Kudos