Unable to control the map extent in ArcGIS Online

05-12-2014 11:20 AM
StuSmith
New Contributor III
The Fall, 2013 issue of ArcUser provided directions on how to set the initial map extent of a web map saved to ArcGIS Online and then opened in the ArcGIS.com map viewer:

http://www.esri.com/esri-news/arcuser/fall-2013/control-the-map-extent-in-arcgis-online

However, this does not work for me.  No matter what lat/long values I enter, the web map's extent is always reset to 180,-75.9736,180,84.1787.

In addition, when I click the option to create the embed code, it always defaults to the incorrect value above.

Any advice?  Thanks!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
JoeFlannery
Occasional Contributor III
Stu:

Have you tried the "Draw Extent" button?  I found that the Draw Extent button works best for me.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33762[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
RobertaDonaldson1
New Contributor

Hello,

I am having the same problem. I used the Draw Extent button and it is till not opening to my desired area.

Any tips?

Thanks

0 Kudos
JoeFlannery
Occasional Contributor III

Roberta:

I no longer see the "Extent" option available in the map's Item Details page.  Here's what I do...  With your map open, zoom to the extent and area of interest that you want your users to see when they open your map.  At this point, create a spatial bookmark using the Bookmarks button on the toolbar.  Call the bookmark something like Project ExtentSave your map.  If I'm correct, the map extent that users initially see is the extent of your last Save.  The Project Extent bookmark saves the extent that you may use over and over again for your map, so the bookmark is handy for you and your users for getting to that perfect view.

0 Kudos