zLAS to Multipoint?

05-01-2014 11:39 AM
JohnHenrichsen
New Contributor
When working with many LAS tiles, the process from LAS to Multipoint is time consuming.  I have attempted the zLAS format, but I receive a "000725" error at "Output Feature Class" with no explanation about wrong file format elsewhere.

Is it possible to convert zLAS to Multipoint with the LAS to Multipoint tool?
0 Kudos
1 Reply
larryzhang1
New Contributor III
When working with many LAS tiles, the process from LAS to Multipoint is time consuming.  I have attempted the zLAS format, but I receive a "000725" error at "Output Feature Class" with no explanation about wrong file format elsewhere.

Is it possible to convert zLAS to Multipoint with the LAS to Multipoint tool?

John,

Generally, the performance looks fine, when used to classify LAS data, which should be based on 'individual' LAS return (rather than bulk of returns) �?�

++++++++++++

On optimal use of the GP tool �??LAS to Multipoints�?? via compressed LAS, the following can be raised for consideration:

Firstly, zLAS is from ESRI. zLAS is different from mainstream �??open�?? LAS standard �??LASz, which is widely supported by many solution vendors. In fact, there are also many discussions/rumors on ESRI zLAS. Pls refer to http://rapidlasso.com/2013/12/30/new-compressed-las-format-by-esri/

Secondly, it looks that 10.2 does not support its own zLAS very deeply,  �?� Not sure why not? ESRI should support �??open�?? LASz first as first priority, honestly.
0 Kudos