Driving Directions

Jump to solution
04-30-2014 11:27 AM
JayForstner
New Contributor II
Are driving directions a part of this app like Collector?  I could be simply missing it somewhere as I just downloaded the app, but can't seem to find it anywhere. 

Thanks for any help or feedback!

Jay Forstner
GIS Coordinator - Rochester Public Utilities
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor
No, driving directions are not in Explorer. If this is something you'd like to see in a future release, could you share your use case?

Thanks!
Esri Education Team

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor
No, driving directions are not in Explorer. If this is something you'd like to see in a future release, could you share your use case?

Thanks!
Esri Education Team
0 Kudos
JayForstner
New Contributor II
Thanks for the quick reply Kylie.

Our specific use case for the driving directions would be the ability for our field crews to route from one facility, or electric outage, to the next.  Right now the field crews use Collector for their iPad mapping application.  While it does provide directions, it lacks some of the better mapping functions that Explorer offers.  Some of the more important ones to them are searching our layers, direct hyperlinking, a legend,  and easier on/off functionality of layers.  I may be forgetting a couple in there too.  On the flip-side, Explorer is lacking the editing and routing that Collector offers. 

For the crews, who are not the most tech-savy users, going from one app to the other to get directions, or add notes to the map can be cumbersome. 

I would like to say, I am extremely pleased with the Explorer app (as well as Collector).  The performance and added functionality over the ArcGIS app are tremendous!  A great step for Esri. 

Thanks again for your answers and allowing feedback.

Jay
0 Kudos
MichaelGayheart1
New Contributor III
I agree that driving directions would be useful. Although we could use the same scenario as described above, we also have the use case where the route is planned ahead of time using ArcGIS Online on their computer where they can filter sites for certain criteria and then plan a trip and get directions within AGOL. When they save the directions as a layer in that map and open it in Explorer, the route is visible, but the directions are difficult to find (have to click parts of the route and read pop-up for next instruction). It would be nice to see the instructions in a pane on the left.

The app is great overall!
0 Kudos