How to create an address locator to be used in geocoding

04-30-2014 11:08 AM
USFS_AGOLAdministrator
New Contributor III
Hello all,

I need to find out how to create an address locator so I can geocode a table of addresses. I've read most of the documentation online about it, but it's not making sense. How do I get the base-layer to create the address locator from in the first place? Thanks in advance.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi Paul,

I need to find out how to create an address locator so I can geocode a table of addresses. ... How do I get the base-layer to create the address locator from in the first place?

Are you asking how to create an address locator from a basemap in AGOL? This is not a supported workflow.

You create address locators from your own source data, for example based on a feature class of street features. The street features must have the appropriate attribute values (i.e., address information) that will enable you to create a new address locator. First, you would create the address locator in ArcGIS Desktop, next publish the locator as a geocoding service in ArcGIS Server, then it can be used in your AGOL organization.

FYI, Creating an address locator

Hope this helps,
0 Kudos
USFS_AGOLAdministrator
New Contributor III

Derek,

I didn't have my own source data to use, I just needed to find out where the esri streets data was located. I found it on our installation CD's of the software, and used that to create the address locator from. Thanks for your reply!

0 Kudos