Time Slider for Story Map

04-29-2014 05:18 PM
RobertBrock
New Contributor
I am trying to add a time slider to my story map.  What is the easiest way for a non-programmer to do this?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
StephenSylvia
Esri Regular Contributor
Which Story Map app are you trying to use? Both the Text and Legend app and the Side Accordion app has the appropriate code built in to them. If you configure your map data with the standard time properties that are available in ArcGIS Online (http://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/create-maps/configure-time.htm), these two apps will automatically add the time slider to the app interface as needed.

At this time, our other app do not currently support time enabled maps out of the box. All of them are open source and available on GitHub but they unfortunately, they would require a JavaScript developer to add the time slider to them.
0 Kudos
ZorbaConlen
Occasional Contributor

Stephen,

I tried using the side accordion app with a time enabled web map and it does not add the time slider, nor did I see any option to configure it. Could you explain how this works?

FYI, for benefit of others: It looks like the Text and Legend app has been retired, so that is not an option. There are a couple of options, but none are story maps:

There is a Time Aware template, but I don't like that option because it is not mobile friendly. The other option is the web appbuilder, which has a time-slider widget, and is mobile friendly. That said, I'm still curious about the side accordian template.

Thanks

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Zorba,

I'm thinking you might have been using the Side Accordion layout of the new Story Map Series app, which does not yet support time aware maps. Stephen was referring to the older Side Accordion app on GitHub as the one that supports time. This app needs to be downloaded and hosted. You can still use it if it meets your needs, but like Text & Legend it has been retired and is not under active development. The team is looking at adding native time controls to Story Map apps for a future release.

In the meantime, the Time Aware configurable app was refreshed in July (a few days after your post) and it may meet your needs now as it is mobile friendly. The layout may not be ideal depending on the options you choose and the size of the devices you are targeting, but the time controls work on touch devices. Here's a recent blog post on this.

2015-08-11 at 7.46.55 AM.JPG

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos