ArcGIS for Server Admin/ Manager Account 10.2

Jump to solution
04-28-2014 01:55 PM
JakeGalyon
New Contributor III
Our ArcGIS server 10.2 install etc was set up by an individual who no longer works here. I am needing to go into manager and give myself access as an administrator to publish services that were previously published by the individual that no longer works here. 

I have tried this link out....http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//0154000005pw000000 but did not work.  Doesanyone have any suggestions what i need to do to be able to become a primary site administrator or a user with administrative access?

I am working with arcgis server 10.2 installed on Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise SP1.  I apprciate the help.  I do not know this individuals username or password.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
Run this instead:

"C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server\tools\passwordreset\PasswordReset.bat" -p ******

EDIT: replace the ***** with your new password

Once that completes, run the following which gives you the name of the PSA account:
"C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server\tools\passwordreset\PasswordReset.bat" -l

Then use the new password and the PSA account name to log in.  Post back with your results.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
When you say "it did not work", can you be specific about the error or the result?  Also, what type of user store and role store is ArcGIS for Server configured to use?
0 Kudos
RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor
The password reset tool has never failed for me. I also would like to understand the error.
0 Kudos
JakeGalyon
New Contributor III
Thanks for the responses.  I am totally new to ArcGIS for Server.  We are using 10.2  ArcGIS for server is installed on a virtural server.  I am able to log into that server, but when i try to run command prompt as administrator as suggessted (right click on command prompt, run as administrator) a log in box appears.  I am thinking that i need to have adminstrator priveleges or have an admin do this step.  If i try to run the command from opening up command prompt as usual, the attached error is what i get.  I am totally new to server, and will be going through the tutorials/training in the meantime.

Will resetting the admin username and password break any services or websites that are consuming the services?
0 Kudos
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
If you require elevated privileges to run an Administrator CMD, then you likely aren't an admin on that machine as you pointed out.  So, yes, you might need an admin to do this.  However, looking at your screenshot I don't believe you're issuing the correct command to begin with.  Try opening up a CMD prompt and input this:

C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server\tools\passwordreset\PasswordReset.bat

or

"C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server\tools\passwordreset\PasswordReset.bat"

Post back with your results.  Resetting the PSA account password should not break applications or services.  Just to be clear, can you confirm that your ArcGIS for Server installation directory exists on the "C" drive and not the "U" drive?
0 Kudos
JakeGalyon
New Contributor III
How do i remove the U:\> Before the code? I believe this is causing the problem.  However, it won't let me delete it.  I appreciate the help.
0 Kudos
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
You can't.  That's the drive letter that Windows is defaulting to.  This is the case for anyone who opens a CMD prompt.  Refer to my two suggested commands above.  One has double quotes and the other does not.  If your ArcGIS for Server installation was on the "U" drive, then change the text I provided such that the C:\ portion is changed to U:\ instead.  If your installation is on the "C" drive, then use the text exactly as I provided above.  If you're still having trouble, please take a screenshot of the Computer dialog box from your Windows OS.  Here is my example:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33532[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
JakeGalyon
New Contributor III
I tried the code you gave me and got the following message.  Not sure if successful or not.  However, when i try to log into manager i am still unable to.  Do you know the next steps i need to do in order to log in?  FYI ArcGIS sever is installed on the C drive.  I attached the cmd prompt screenshot.
0 Kudos
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
Run this instead:

"C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server\tools\passwordreset\PasswordReset.bat" -p ******

EDIT: replace the ***** with your new password

Once that completes, run the following which gives you the name of the PSA account:
"C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server\tools\passwordreset\PasswordReset.bat" -l

Then use the new password and the PSA account name to log in.  Post back with your results.
0 Kudos
JakeGalyon
New Contributor III
That worked thanks!
0 Kudos