Some problems I have encountered so far

04-25-2014 10:36 AM
MarcWeinshenker1
Occasional Contributor
1) In testing the sharing of services to the Open Data app, when I unshare services they continue to show up in search results and can be downloaded.  Yes, I flushed the browser cache.

2) When looking at the Details tab for a service I shared, I realized that all attributes were showing when I didn't want that.  So, I modified the MXD to turn off the unnecessary attributes, then republished the service.  When I went back to Open Data to examine the change, the Details and Table tabs showed the reduced list of attributes, but when hovering the mouse over the results in the search list, it still shows "13 Attributes" even thought the number is now 3.  Yes, I flushed the browser cache.

3) Some strange behavior with a shapefile download.  Our city limits has a donut hole in it, but the shapefile download of the polyline service shows a line running from the outside edge (the main boundary) cutting across the inside of the city and connecting to the inside edge (the boundary of the donut hole).  

4) I don't know if this all about my my service strategy or if there is something which can be done in the Open Data app, but I have some services which repeat layers in the TOC with adjustments to symbology per scale ranges.  This works fine for my web maps and generally appears properly when using the service REST endpoint, but in Open Data it looks like there are 10 services all the same.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi Marc,

Great feedback and I will address these one by one.

1) In testing the sharing of services to the Open Data app, when I unshare services they continue to show up in search results and can be downloaded. Yes, I flushed the browser cache.

We have logged this issue, and are looking to improve the refresh time when items are removed from your Open Data group.

2) When looking at the Details tab for a service I shared, I realized that all attributes were showing when I didn't want that. So, I modified the MXD to turn off the unnecessary attributes, then republished the service. When I went back to Open Data to examine the change, the Details and Table tabs showed the reduced list of attributes, but when hovering the mouse over the results in the search list, it still shows "13 Attributes" even thought the number is now 3. Yes, I flushed the browser cache.

This could be due to issue 1, where the site data is not fully refreshed. ArcGIS Open Data should only pick up what is available in the service. If you have hidden fields, and they do not show in the layer through REST, they will not appear in Open Data. If you were still seeing them, its likely do to the refresh issue above. We will test the behavior you reported when we address the main issue.

3) Some strange behavior with a shapefile download. Our city limits has a donut hole in it, but the shapefile download of the polyline service shows a line running from the outside edge (the main boundary) cutting across the inside of the city and connecting to the inside edge (the boundary of the donut hole).

This is a defect that we will need to address, thank you for reporting.

4) I don't know if this all about my my service strategy or if there is something which can be done in the Open Data app, but I have some services which repeat layers in the TOC with adjustments to symbology per scale ranges. This works fine for my web maps and generally appears properly when using the service REST endpoint, but in Open Data it looks like there are 10 services all the same.

We are working to address this workflow. Right now if you have a single layer from a service, as an item in ArcGIS Online, we will add all the layers from the service when you register it to Open Data. While this works for some services, it is not ideal for all, especially when describing the layer in the Summary and Description. We hope to have this addressed soon, and hope you can continue prototyping out your Open Data site.

Thank you,
Andrew
0 Kudos