Creative Commons Attribution

04-25-2014 08:17 AM
JoshuaLong
New Contributor
I'd like to be able to specify a particular creative commons license and have the link to the license, as well as the license logo show up. This will be an important part of the open data sharing process.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi Joshua,

I checked your site, and saw you were able to do this. Nice work!

Thanks,
Andrew
0 Kudos
JustinConner
Occasional Contributor II
I had the same question, then as a last ditch effort I copied the url to the license and it showed up as the icon just like I wanted.
0 Kudos
JoshuaLong
New Contributor
I am still not quite sure that this is ironed out. I think the attribution appears differently depending on how data is published. For instance, I have a map service published from our Arc Server and made reference to within AGO. I added the creative commons license code to the credits field WITHIN THE FEATURE DETAILS inside the map document that I used to publish the layer to our GIS Server. Specifically I added the code to the credits field on the general tab within feature properties. The result is that the CC license shows up at the bottom of the open data map, next to the ESRI, Stamen licenses, etc. However, how do I get the attribution to show in the LICENSING field under the open data site feature details? It still says "No licensing information". Also I have filled in access and constraint descriptions within the AGO reference as well.

Check it out:
http://d3.d3.opendata.arcgis.com/datasets/cc983c00c2614615bddf88a8e5337ac0_0

Could you please specify exactly which field needs to be populated for the Licensing information to show under the open data details?

Hi Joshua,

I checked your site, and saw you were able to do this. Nice work!

Thanks,
Andrew
0 Kudos
MichaelJuniper
New Contributor III
The license info is pulled from the 'Access and Use Constraints' in the AGO item. If we detect certain strings like 'Creative Commons Share Alike' we attempt to show the logo.
0 Kudos
JoshuaLong
New Contributor
Unless I am missing something, I don't think this works with an item that is hosted on an organizational GIS server and made reference to in AGO. Am I wrong?

The license info is pulled from the 'Access and Use Constraints' in the AGO item. If we detect certain strings like 'Creative Commons Share Alike' we attempt to show the logo.
0 Kudos
MichaelJuniper
New Contributor III
It should work there too. Can you give me the URL to an open data dataset that is not working?
0 Kudos
JoshuaLong
New Contributor
Sure, the schools feature that I mentioned should show you what I mean.

http://d3.d3.opendata.arcgis.com/datasets/cc983c00c2614615bddf88a8e5337ac0_0

It should work there too. Can you give me the URL to an open data dataset that is not working?
0 Kudos