Importing tiles and service definitions on ArcGIS online from ArcSDE 9.1

04-24-2014 10:31 AM
LosMorales1
New Contributor
Hi,

I have spatial data in ArcSDE 9.1 and would like to create a WebMap along with associated tiles, service definitions and features on ArcGIS online.  I have ArcMap 10.0 and I can't seem to import into ArcGIS online these data types.  I can export into a shape file and try to import that shape file but that's not what I want.  Any ideas?  Thanks in advanced.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor
You really need to consider upgrading your ArcSDE geodatabase urgently, to at least 10.0 SP5. ArcSDE 9.1 is outdated and totally unsupported by ESRI by now (except for do-it-yourself online Help available for 9.1), being about 10 years old.

I think you will have many benefits after upgrading, not least probably being able to do what you want, although I can't really comment on that.

Anyway, as the 10.x Help says on this page:
"Functionality specific to the current release is not available when connecting to a previous release of the geodatabase. For example, if you connect from an ArcGIS 9.1 client to an ArcGIS 9 personal geodatabase, you will only have access to functionality available at ArcGIS 9."

By the way, how are you actually connecting to ArcSDE 9.1 with a 10.x client? According to the same page, 10.x shouldn't be compatible with 9.1, only with 9.2 minimum... Only 9.1 personal geodatabase (Microsoft Access) are supposed to be supported in 10.x.

You may wish to start looking at this page:
A quick tour of geodatabase upgrades
0 Kudos
LosMorales1
New Contributor
I know about the upgrading... will happen later down the road though.  My company won't do the upgrade now for various reasons so I have no control on that.  Right now I would like to get some service definitions and tiles onto ArcGIS online.  ArcMap10.0 connects to the SDE 9.1 just fine.  I know 10.1 won't work but 10.0 does.  Knowing that, what can I do with ArcMap 10.0 to create tiles and service definitions that can be put onto ArcGIS online?
0 Kudos