SDEVERBOSE

Jump to solution
04-21-2014 09:34 AM
ScottNoldy
New Contributor III
In 10.0 and below, when creating a direct connection to the database you could specify ;SDEVERBOSE=TRUE at the end of the instance line to create a local SDE log file for troubleshooting.

I can't seem to find anything similar for 10.2.1.  Anyone know of any way to get verbose logs out of direct connections to SDE in 10.2.1?
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ScottNoldy
New Contributor III
I ended up asking ESRI.  Turns out it is the same for 10.2 as it is in 10.0 and below, just add ;SDEVERBOSE=TRUE to the end of the server name in the instance field of the geodatabase connection window.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
EmadAl-Mousa
Occasional Contributor III
Hi,

it should be the same procedure as in previous releases, adding the parameter in your dbinit.sde file

http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//002n00000017000000

Regards,
0 Kudos
ScottNoldy
New Contributor III
Hi,

it should be the same procedure as in previous releases, adding the parameter in your dbinit.sde file

http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//002n00000017000000

Regards,

That's for a server with SDE installed, not for a client.
0 Kudos
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
Direct connections produce a client log file named sdedc_<RDBMS>.log (substitute something like 'oracle' or 'sqlserver' in place of <RDBMS>).  The file is typically generated and stored under the profile directory for the logged-in user on machines using a Microsoft Windows operating system.  For example:

For Windows 2008 R2, usually C:\users\<userID>\AppData\Local\Temp

Since you didn't provide your OS, I'm going to assume Windows for the time being.  I don't believe you can change the type of logging that gets recorded in this file; in other words, I don't think it is configurable to something more verbose than it already is.  What specifically are you trying to capture?  There are other methods of capturing events, calls, etc. besides the direct connect log file.  Sometimes a session trace using RDBMS tools might be sufficient (e.g., Oracle trace or SQL profiler trace), but other times you might need something more Esri-centric.  Have you considered using an SDETRACE or an SDEINTERCEPT?  I'm not sure what exactly you're trying to do, but these are all methods of capturing events between different parts of the system which include some that interact directly with the client.
0 Kudos
RandyKreuziger

How do you turn off the SDEVERBOSE?

I followed your instructions for setting SDEVERBOSE to true.  After testing I went back into the database connection but the ;SDEVERBOSE=TRUE section was gone SDE layers added to lyr files still show it as TRUE therefore I added ;SDEVERBOSE=FALSE to the connection and resourced the feature class in the lyr file, but now it reads          ;SDEVERBOSE=FALSE;SDEVERBOSE=TRUE

I;m running 10.1 SP1

SDEVERBOSE.png

0 Kudos
SidneiRodrigues_dos_Santos
New Contributor

Hi,
Check the following key in regedit
to 10.5.1:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ESRI\Desktop10.5\SDE Workspace Factory

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ESRI\SDE Workspace Factory
Edit key INSTANCE. Remove VERBOSE=TRUE

0 Kudos
ScottNoldy
New Contributor III
I ended up asking ESRI.  Turns out it is the same for 10.2 as it is in 10.0 and below, just add ;SDEVERBOSE=TRUE to the end of the server name in the instance field of the geodatabase connection window.
0 Kudos
DrewDowling

Does anybody know how to do this oracle instaclient connections? When I try to add ;SDEVERBOSE=TRUE using an oracle connection it give me an error message about server not being found.

0 Kudos