Updating layers

04-17-2014 05:05 AM
AndyKeljarrett
New Contributor III
Hello,

Bit of a random question but I want to check my understanding on ArcGIS Online and check I am therefore using the right product. We have created maps in ArcGIS Desktop and uploaded to AGOL for operatives to use in the field. They are updating the relevant maps with datapoints and then I have another map in Desktop that accesses the information directly from AGOL. If I want to make any changes to the feature class that they edit the datapoints in however, I have to

1) Download the data from AGOL.
2) Combine into the feature class that is being modified.
3) Make the necessary modifications and share as service.
4) Add the new layers into the maps on AGOL and delete the old ones

This seems like a very long winded process every time we make any changes to the base data. What I want ideally is something that allows users in the organisation to view maps created in the desktop and if any changes are made to the maps or the feature classes they are comprised of, this is automatically filtered out to the maps used by the organisation.

Is AGOL the right tool for this or should I be doing something else?

Thanks
Andy
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
Andy,

the answer in this post should be able to help you.

Tim
0 Kudos
AndyKeljarrett
New Contributor III
Andy,

the answer in this post should be able to help you.

Tim

Just to check Tim, this method allows me to update the data e.g. add new polygons or data points but I wouldn't be able to modify the attributes or the fields, is that correct?
0 Kudos
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
Andy,

you should be able to edit attributes, but I don't know if you are able to add new fields. Worth a try though 😉

Tim
0 Kudos