How to make service appear under "Search For Layers"

04-15-2014 02:48 PM
ShawnCarson
New Contributor III
Hello All,

Is there any way to be able to have my published map service, appear in AGOL under  "Search For Layers"?

The only way I can get things to appear under the "Search for Layers" is if I publish them using "My Hosted Services" after signing in to agol.
(arcmap-->Share As -->Service).

"Search for Layers" appears when you do: agol-->My Content-->Create Map-->Add-->Search for layers...

I want to make some of my services available in agol to my Organization.

Can I not somehow make a service I created under my local ArcGIS Server available under the list of "search for layers"?

Thanks,

Shawn
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Are you talking specifically about having services that you've published to your own ArcGIS Server show up in search for layers? You have to add them to My Content.

My Content>Add Item> Item is on the web then specify the URL to your web service. In the map viewer, when you search for layers, you may need to uncheck the box that says search "within map area".

Also, if this service is behind a firewall, some operations in arcgis online require it to be externally accessible. But, as long as the browser is running inside your firewall, you'll be able to display it, but some other operations may not work, like printing.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
ShawnCarson
New Contributor III
Thanks Mike. That was it. Perhaps a mention in the docs noting how to add service so it appears under  Search For Layers would be good. (maybe I missed it..)
0 Kudos