Collector Legend

Jump to solution
04-14-2014 11:05 AM
JamesMatthewson
New Contributor
Is their a legend function in latest collector version, I can't find it, if not will it be coming back in future release?

Thanks

James
Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DougMorgenthaler
Esri Regular Contributor

Support for Legend is there now for those of you using Collector for ArcGIS on Windows 10.  It will be coming into the upcoming beta releases of The Aurora Project, which you can request to join by following the link in the blog post.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
There is currently no legend in the Collector app today. If the layer is collectable it is displayed in the "collect a feature" section of the app. What kind of data would you be displaying in the app that would require a legend.

Thanks
Russ
0 Kudos
MikeGrue
New Contributor

Has there been any movement on this?  We have various utility lines in our collector app that we symbolize differently.  Having a legend to explain the symbology would be important.

0 Kudos
BarryBiediger
New Contributor III
In our case at least we will need to add quite a few different layers to maps for people to use for field data collection.  It's not a simple matter of tile caching one map for everyone to use with a common legend, plus one layer in which they will be editing.  I certainly hope a legend will be possible.
AndreeaAmbrus
New Contributor III

I second that. A legend will be helpful. My base data contains a layer that has multiple symbols. I am collecting new features based on that, so my collection process will not be posible without this base layer (which has multiple symbols and colors). I hope we can have a legend soon!

SeanSweeney
New Contributor III

Third.  We're using unique symbols (color coding basically) on a base layer to target field work and currently have to send folks out with a paper legend.

0 Kudos
AndreeaAmbrus
New Contributor III

A way around it (that I use) is to convert labels to geometry and use them as a feature class. For example if I have to symbolize trees, fire hydrants, street poles, etc each one of them was labeled with their type and Id (ex: Tree, ID 2; Fire hydrand, ID 5, etc..). Of course, this might not work if you need to show a lot of info on your map.

Here the tutorial:

Adding labels to ArcGIS Online web maps: Part 1 | ArcGIS Blog

0 Kudos
SeanSweeney
New Contributor III

Thanks Andreea.  I'll check that out.

0 Kudos
JustinFritz1
New Contributor II

Yes a legend in Collector would be fantastic.  It seems a strange omission in a mapping app.

Currently we use Collector more for viewing data offline in the field than we do actually collecting data.

BarryBiediger
New Contributor III

Same here Justin.  Our people collect points with photos attached here and there, but most of them use it to see when they're on the lands we manage and where our leases are, etc.

0 Kudos