Network Analyst tools grayed out

07-20-2010 01:27 AM
AndreeaArgesanu
New Contributor III
Hello everyone

For some inexplicable reasons, Network Analyst tools are all grayed out, both in ArcMap and in ArcCatalog. I have been trying for two days to figure out why this might happen, but with no success. I am using ArcGIS 9.3 with an ArcInfo floating licence, which is valid and not in use by anyone else (I double-checked that in ArcGIS administrator). I have also double-checked that the extension is checked on under Tools->Extensions and it is ??? so I run out of ideas. Does any one have any clue what I might be doing wrong or not doing at all? I would be grateful for a suggestion as soon as possible as the deadline for my project is coming very soon.

Thanks.

Andreea
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
MichaelRice
New Contributor III
You have to add a network dataset to ArcMap before you can use any of the tools on the toolbar. I would encourage you to go through the Network Analyst tutorial that comes with your install of ArcGIS. This includes sample data, and will give you a good understanding of how to use the tools and work with the datasets. Please let me know if there are any further issues or questions.
0 Kudos
AndreeaArgesanu
New Contributor III
Hi Michael

Thank you for your reply. I have gone through the bits of the tutorial that I would need for my project and I managed to familiarize myself a little bit with the tools. Now...I would add a network dataset to ArcMap, but I need to create one first. To do that, I went to ArcCatalog, right-clicked on the feature dataset that I have previously created and wanted to choose New->Network Dataset from the pop-up menu, but this option was greyed out... Any other ideas?

Thanks

Andreea
0 Kudos
MichaelRice
New Contributor III
The "New->Network Dataset" option you mentioned is only enabled on a feature dataset if you have one or more valid source feature classes for your network dataset (e.g., a polyline feature class representing your streets) already in your feature dataset. Learning how to build your own network datasets should be covered as the first few exercises in the Network Analyst tutorial.
0 Kudos