Geocoding by Mileposts

04-09-2014 01:54 PM
ISP_graynic
Occasional Contributor II
I have a table with crashes by interstate route, direction, and mileposts for a state.  I also have a shapefile that has just the individual mile markers for the state's interstates.  

I was wondering if there is any way I can geocode these crashes based on these fields.  Any help is greatly appreciated!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
Create a single field address locator based on the mile marker feature class with the mile marker identifier as  the keyfield.  As long as your crash data has the same format/value for the mile marker as your feature class identifier field you should be good to go.

Once you geocode them, they will 'stack' upon each other since you are using a single point to match them to.  You can do your stats with a summary table based on the mile marker identifier; you'll get a count of all the crashes at mm 1, mm 2, mm 3, etc.  Join that summary table back into your geocoded points and you can display then by the count ( 47 crashes at mm1, 3 crashes at mm 2 etc).
That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
ISP_graynic
Occasional Contributor II
Great!  Thanks for the help.  I also found out you can do it by creating routes and then bringing in the table of crashes and displaying by route.  I found out how to do it that way from this thread: http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/75209-Roads-and-Mileposts-Geocoding
0 Kudos